• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Keep an old 68 motor/trans?

PB gtcs

Folks,

Paul and I bot an old 68 parts car. It has the original 289 engine and c4. Both bad. Our car had neither when we bot it to restore. Would it increase the value of our car if we had the 68 engine and trans even tho it is not #s matching? We have built another engine and tranny for our car. Should we save the old 68 stuff for the next buyer? or more value in parting the engine and such out? Opinions?

Brian

rvrtrash

Personal opinion only, ok, but since the numbers don't match, I don't think the block would add much to the value of the car. The tranny number isn't seen once it's in the car, the heads would be the same and 289 cranks are getting hard to come by. I'd probably keep it if you have the room, just to give a future (why even think about selling?) owner the option, but realizing it's not a big deal.
Steve

P

PNewitt

If your GT/CS had a 289, and not a 302, then I'd say to rebuild the 289. Those old 289 engines are hard to find, since all those blocks have been rebored a zillion times and are all worn out by now. Have you seen a virgin 289 block recently?

Think of like this: What would you think if you found an dusty old 1956 Ford Police car in a barn, with no engine, and there, next to it on a crate was an old greasy 352cid engine?

It might not always make sense, but I've seen a stock '72 Maverick 302 (with its air cleaner) in a GT/CS. Gag.

Paul.