• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1966-67 HCS LED replacement for 1157 bulb

66hcs-conv

Hi all,

Has anybody tried the LED replacement bulbs (1157) for the tail/stop lights?

Do the LED bulbs require the addition of an eletronic device so the bulbs will flash, or are the new LED bulbs a "plug & play" operation?

Thanks for your help, Dave

6t8-390gt

I don't have LED's in my car, but if I am not mistaken it's plug and play. Even the complete replacement with multiple board type LED's are plug and play.

Danny

dalorzo_f

Have seen posts where the flasher can has to be replaced with a different one as the load from the LED's is different and does not trigger the OEM can.

Maybe the kits have inbuilt resistance, the ones I recall were related to just buying individual bulbs and swapping them out for LED's...

OP
OP
66hcs-conv

66hcs-conv

I bought a couple of LED 1157 replacements from O'Reilly auto. They are made by "Jamstrait". Plugged 'em in & they work fine - maybe blink a little slower than the normal 1157's, but they work.

Thanks, dave

x-codegtcs

Hijack alert - how easy is it to switch to halogen head lights? OR what are the brightest stock style head lights available? (stock style = no mods necessary)

rvrtrash

Hijack alert - how easy is it to switch to halogen head lights? OR what are the brightest stock style head lights available? (stock style = no mods necessary)

It depends on the condition of your headlight switch and wiring. If everything is good, you may get by. If you have resistance in the line or a weak switch, the breaker in it will continually trip and your lights will flash on and off. Best bet is to install a relay near the headlights and use the headlight switch to turn the relay on and off and draw power for the lights through a fused lead from the battery.

Steve

OP
OP
66hcs-conv

66hcs-conv

I'll let you know. I've got two halogen head lights comming, should get here Tuesday. Stay tuned.

Have fun, Dave

OP
OP
66hcs-conv

66hcs-conv

Installed the new halogen bulbs. Truned them on for 15 minutes in an enlosed garage, with no air movement. Nothing got hot, not the wires at the head lights, not the light switch wires, or the switch itself.