• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Looking up history

FirecrackerKTM

So, my car has kind of a weird history. I'm from a super small town, and my mom owned the Mustang for 30 years.

We took the oil pan off to fix some nasty leaks and while we were scraping the old gaskets off, we noticed that all the crank throws had engraving on them--so the engine has been balanced! I'd heard that story, but I'd also heard it was 12:1, which it is definitely not, so I don't know which stories about the car are true and which aren't.

Anyway being that it is a small town, I called the machine shop I took the block from my other Mustang in to, figuring one of the long timers would know something. All I could remember hearing was that the guy who built the CS was kind of "the" Ford engine guy around town, and he did a lot of work for the circle track crowd. I told the machine shop this, and they knew right away who it was; he's even still in business!

I called him, and of course he does not remember the car, but by the numbers stamped into the crank throws he said he did the work somewhere in the early or mid 70s. He still has the card on file with all the weights & info, so the next time I am in town visiting relatives (I live in another state now) I am going to swing by and see if he will let me copy it.

Wish he remembered more about the car, but since it was almost 40 years ago I guess it was a long shot.

It was cool to talk to the guy at least. I remember hearing his name around the hot rod guys, he has a good reputation. And even though the engine was built that long ago, I know my mom barely drove it after she bought it in 1980. She hated the lack of power steering and then when I turned 16 she shipped it off to the in laws to store it out of sight. So it definitely doesn't have more than 2000 miles put on it since 1980, but who knows what the last owner did with it.

I guess being from a small town has its advantages. It's easier to track down info like that. I called one other guy who went to school with my dad and I used to hang out in his garage, but he didn't remember much about the car other than that it ran pretty good :)

So, not super important, but kind of cool to me.

IMG_3850.jpg