• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Mini-tach Installation

NosAvrenim

After too many weekends of thinking about installing and fretting about how difficult it might be, I finally set aside Sunday afternoon to install the Retrogauge Mini-tach in the dash. Like most things, it wasn’t nearly as difficult as I originally thought it might be – particularly the wiring.

I’ll try to post some pics later in the week (completely forgot to have the camera close by as I was doing the install). That said, the instructions that came with the tach were simple and straight-forward. The most challenging aspect was figuring out how/where to wire in the ground and fused wires. Doing a few searches yielded no real-world instructions for wiring it in, so here is a quick write-up. Hopefully this write-up will help some other folks down the road.

Requirements: 2 ring style connectors, 4 female spade connectors, 18ga wire (ideally three colors, but I used two – all that I had on hand), pliers, Phillips screwdriver, wire cutters, ¼” split loom.

1. After removing the instrument panel from the dash, disconnecting it from the speedometer cable and under dash wiring harness, I set to removing the cross-hair blank from the panel.
  2. I then installed the new mini-tach. It fit right in and used the original holes and screws to secure it.
  3. Next, I wired the ground terminal on the tach to the ground post for the dash voltage regulator using a female spade and ring style connector.
  4. For the fused connection, I ended up using the connection on the wiring harness for the dash clock. Checking the shop and owner’s manuals, this connection has a 7.5A fuse (the tach instructions call for a 3A, so I may need to change this out). While this is a convenient connector, it’s female and requires a stud (no pun intended). Rather than cut the original harness, I crimped a female spade connector so that it tightly fit into the connection and secured both with a bit of electrical tape. Another female spade connected into the mini-tach.
  5. For the signal wire, I ran a wire through an existing hole in the firewall and connected it to the “-“ terminal on the coil. Since I swapped the stock ignition out for Pertronix, I had some concern about compatibility, but the instructions from Retrogauge said that the tach was compatible with my setup. So with fingers crossed, I hooked it up and covered the wire with a bit of ¼” split loom to make a cleaner look under the hood.

After reconnecting the battery and connecting the dash panel to the under dash wiring harness, I started the gal back up and the tach seemed to be working well (idle was about where it should be). I haven’t compared the tach to a dwell/tach analyzer yet to test for accuracy, but that’ll come as I tune carb in the next couple of weeks.

While I’ve done some electrical trouble-shooting (fuel sender) and swapping of components (ignition/coil), this was my first attempt at wiring in a new component. I’d love any thoughts on what I did and if anything could be a problem down the road.

Ruppstang

It sounds like you did a pretty good job. I did one of these in my sons 67 about a year ago. I recall that the instructions said not to use the clock circut because it is hot all the time. You may want to use one that is only hot when the key is on with a inline fuse. I think there is a triple yellow female conector that you could plug into. Best of luck, you will never learn anything if you never try anything. Marty

OP
OP
N

NosAvrenim

Funny you should mention that. The same thought struck my mind as I was sitting in traffic home from work tonight.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll pull out the dash again this weekend and see if that works.

franklinair

I got power when ign switch is in the "Run" position. I wasn't concerned about a fused circuit. Meter movements make great circuit protection.

Neil

franklinair

IIRC, any 12V power available in the instr cluster harness IS fuse protected (except the ammeter). :)

Neil