• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Need electrical advice! No turn signals, brake lights or dash lights!

Gotthebug

Any and all help is greatly appreciated! I have replaced the main harness under the dash and the two under the hood along with the head light switch and the voltage regulator with a solid state one. I had everything working except the radio untill today. Now i have no turn signals or brake lights or dash lights. If i turn the head lights on the turn signal indicators stay on but no other dash lights. The four ways seem to work fine. Also I had cleaned all contact points and gauge cluster has all new bulbs and all grounds seem to be attached. Where do i go from here? My first thought is another new head light switch and a new turn signal flasher both for a 67 cougar. Am i heading in the right direction? And again any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated! Bob

i

Ruppstang

First test all of your fuses. Then I would look at the turn switch. There have been times we have found wires in the new harness that are in the wrong place in the plug. A 68-service manual or a wiring diagram would help you sort this out.

CougarCJ

Are you saying everything went kablooey, after you hooked up the radio?

CougarCJ

On the radio wiring plug, (the one with two female plugs, blue) has two power leads. One lead is for radio power, the other is for illumination of the dial. Lots of people confuse the wire pair as positive and negative.

OP
OP
G

Gotthebug

Thank you for the help Ruppstang and CougarCJ! I checked the fuses and ground wires and all seems fine. The wiring harnesses were all Alloy Metal Products and have been in for some time with no problems. I was going to look into the cougar headlight switch and flasher relay anyway and then onto the turn signal switch if need be! Thanks again, Bob

OP
OP
G

Gotthebug

So i figured i would update you all on my dilemma. I went back over everything i have repaired and or replaced and rechecked connections and found everything checked out ok. Next was to check things i had not replaced which was the turn signal switch. Now i am not all that familiar with ohm meters but i did recently buy a cheap one from harbor freight and watched a few youtube videos and guess what,I am now a certified youtube mechanic! LOL Moving on, when i used the ohm meter i found different readings from the same contacts and know enough that that couldnt be good so time to replaced the turn signal switch! I called around to the usuall mustang supply places and everyone had the same stuff which was Scott Drake, but SHEE-MAR seems to be the one preferred for their quality. I was able to find the SHEE-MAR switch at Rockauto.com and it is in and functioning great so far. I had read somewhere that even SHEE-MAR switches were questionable because of outsourcing and that some had come with aluminum contacts but this one looks fine with the exception of the wiring looks a little thinner than the factory one i replaced! Thanks again so CougarCJ and Ruppstang for you help steering me in the right direction! Bob