• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Not even outta the garage yet!

HappyHour

So was ready my CS for nice long drive. After it sitting for month or so fired it up and noticed gas pooling around the carb dripping down the manifold. Rut row!!

Looks like the Holly carb developed a good leak off one of the side bars. Guess the seals may need to be replaced although the carb looks pretty new.

Donna looks like that race to Gilroy will have to wait. :cry:

Oops need to move thread out of Classified

Last edited:
OP
OP
HappyHour

HappyHour

Yup...getting O ring kit and hope to be goopin by this afternoon. Then drop off for alignment (just replaced front end). :wink:

Diesel Donna

Robert...better that you found it now than on the highway.

We can still race..I'll need the headstart.

OP
OP
HappyHour

HappyHour

Looks like you will have a 2 days head start Donna. After getting alignment done its looking like the spindle in my CS is shot.....I just replaced the control arms.

Anything specific to look for with the spindle? Stamping number C7Z? New used?

OP
OP
HappyHour

HappyHour

There was alot of play in it when I got it aligned so they were thinking it was the spindle since I just replaced the front suspension...but turns out looks like it was defective tie rod...so swapped it out.

So its back on the road although the stock size rims and skinny tires definitely take some getting used to. Hope to upgrade rims and tires at some point for wider rubber profile on the road.

Mosesatm

Robert, a good shop will be able to move the wheel and see exactly what is moving and why. It usually takes 2 people, though. One to move the wheel and the other to look for the corresponding movement in the suspension or steering parts.

I just discovered that I have the same situation with my spindle. When my brother moved the wheel I could see that it looked like the lower ball joint was not seated firmly in the spindle so we tried to tighten it and it's as tight as tight can be. Either the hole in the spindle is elongated or the ball joint stud is the wrong size.

Which may go in hand with the other suspension problem I'm having; After installing new upper and lower control arms I went to get the car aligned but the mechanic adjusted the camber eccentrics all the way out and still couldn't get the camber within spec. It's like the upper control arms are too long or the lowers are too short. I'm thinking the Mustang parts vendor sold me the wrong lower control arms. Maybe for a T-code? Does anyone know whether or not they are different lengths and/or have different ball joint stud diameters? Are 65s, 66s, and 67s the same or shorter?

Sorry to hijack your thread Robert!

rvrtrash

The first set of upper ball joints I bought for my CS were too large for the spindle. The second set from another source fit. If you do have to change the spindle, go with the 69/70 spindle. It uses larger wheel bearings and is stronger.

Steve

By the way, the MPC shows '68 and up lower control arms as all the same. The 65-66 and 67 arms are different.

franklinair

Strange - I would think the '67-'68 contol arms would be the same. I am not aware of any differences between these two years.
The '65 & '66 are their own entity (after all, those years are basically Falcon systems:rolleyes: )

Neil

Mosesatm

Aha, it looks like the upper control arms are the same but the lowers are different. I may have little chat with Mustangs Plus tomorrow afternoon.

Attachments

• NPD Suspension.pdf
    125.3 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
HappyHour

HappyHour

No worries on the hi-jack..great info. I just returned from my trip and I have to say it took alot of concentration to keep the CS on straight path and in the lane. Any small bump or road work had to adjust for..

Im not sure if it is the suspension or the tires. When I got mine aligned I wasnt there and my mechanic sent it out. Ill call him tomorrow and see if there was anything "weird" in the camber since one of the parts from Mustang Village was defective as well.

My 67 was easier to handle but I had bigger tires on the back with forward rake. Anyways got it up without any issues. :wink:

OP
OP
HappyHour

HappyHour

Thanks Donna! Not as many miles as Arlie but great drive on the 101....ran cool all the way even through the 90 degree weather.

Got alot of random conversations so now I know how you all feel.

Mosesatm

No worries on the hi-jack..great info. I just returned from my trip and I have to say it took alot of concentration to keep the CS on straight path and in the lane. Any small bump or road work had to adjust for..

Im not sure if it is the suspension or the tires. When I got mine aligned I wasnt there and my mechanic sent it out. Ill call him tomorrow and see if there was anything "weird" in the camber since one of the parts from Mustang Village was defective as well.

My 67 was easier to handle but I had bigger tires on the back with forward rake. Anyways got it up without any issues. :wink:

More positive caster and toe-in will help keep it straight. Although increasing the toe is a mixed blessing.

Mustang alignment specs were based on fairly skinny, hard, bias-ply tires. Radials are wider and softer and require different settings.