• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Original big block verses non-original

Mustanglvr

I plan on installing a 428 in my CS someday but it is a T-code. Does anybody know what the difference in value it would have going up against an R code CS with the original 428 engine? Assuming they are alike in every other respect. Rhonda

390cs68rcode

I have yet to see someone put a price on a factory 428 CS. I would say the value of a converted CS to a 428 would have some value over a small block CS but not much.

All the value in the big block CS's is rarity.

Mosesatm

I agree with Jason to a point. I think a converted car will be about half, or less, than the value of a true R-code but I also believe that a big block restomod (like an Eleanor) will be worth more than a pure GT/CS with a transplanted 428. I don't like it but I believe it to be true.

As has been stated before; the value of any car is just how much one person is willing to spend on it. An original R-code GT/CS might be worth $150,000 if one person is willing to spend that much. But if there is only one such person the value of the rest of the R-Code GT/CSs is not $150,000. It is only as much as how much the next person in line is willing to spend.

Mustanger

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=2107;start=0#msg14203 date=1125936204]
I agree with Jason to a point. I think a converted car will be about half, or less, than the value of a true R-code but I also believe that a big block restomod (like an Eleanor) will be worth more than a pure GT/CS with a transplanted 428. I don't like it but I believe it to be true.

As has been stated before; the value of any car is just how much one person is willing to spend on it. An original R-code GT/CS might be worth $150,000 if one person is willing to spend that much. But if there is only one such person the value of the rest of the R-Code GT/CSs is not $150,000. It is only as much as how much the next person in line is willing to spend.
[/quote]

I used to think that the most original a car was, the most valuable it was until Barrett-Jackson came along ::)... The most expensive Mustang sold there was a '67 Shelby GT500, Black and with a 427 ... non-original color and non-original motor (was a 428 and some other color) ... and it sold for $270k :eek:.

Mustanger

... so based on what I said above, maybe someone could create a GT/CS W-code (427), and sell it for big bucks ;), mucho dinero 8) ;D

Mustanger

... and here's another (you'll need to scroll down a bit):

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/thehistoryof/5866/

This is the first time I've seen where Kevin Marti admitts that there may be a small chance of a '68 W-code existing (Marti even backs up the what-if theory: “Ford might have built them in such small numbers that they never showed up as a Code,..." ), in very small quantities of course ;).

Perkchiro

I've often wondered what a resto coupe with Shelby fiberglass parts, ala the "Little Red" along with a Ford Racing crate motor of the 428 class would bring on the auction block. Tempted to try that myself. Anyone produced this kind of pony and sold it?

Steve

6t8-390gt

I think that the current market has proven two things.

1. You can modify a Mustang and sell it for a profit

2. The Mustang, stock or modified, STILL appeals to alot of people.

Personnally, the modifications should be well thought out, and PROPERLY applied. Most modified cars that are bringing big bucks have been completed in professional shops not backyard garages. I, however, plan on putting an Air Ride Technology four-link suspension, stroker motor, and some other mods to my next project. So I say "go for it".

One last thought... are you thinking of making these changes to sell the car for a profit or please yourself? If it's the latter do what will make you happy.

OP
OP
Mustanglvr

Mustanglvr

Thank you for the opinions and advice guys. I plan on putting a 428 in my car for me, because thats what I want. Also it will help someday if I have to sell it. Anybody got a 428 CJ I can make payments on? ;D
Rhonda

Mustanger

[quote author=Mustanglvr link=board=1;threadid=2107;start=0#msg14236 date=1126099341]
Thank you for the opinions and advice guys. I plan on putting a 428 in my car for me, because thats what I want. Also it will help someday if I have to sell it. Anybody got a 428 CJ I can make payments on? ;D
Rhonda
[/quote]

... how about a "parts car" with a 428 ;) :

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/7/8/80738278.htm

Depending on it's condition, this may be an opportunity, but then again, you might find a 428 motor for less ... ;)

CalPaul

Hey Rhonda;
Here is a motor for you. EBay Item number: 4574037419

68gt390

Who ever buys this car would not be looking for an original car. Would make for a nice restomod setup since it has the 429CJ motor and 4 speed. Would of been nice to see some pictures. For what they are asking it's not a bad price for someone who just wants a project to start with.

Don ;)

mca

It is worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. But, in general, it is worth the current retail price of a "T" code GT/CS, plus the current value of the 428CJ engine. Add these together, and there you have it. In my opinion, keep it a six, next to the 428CJ's, the sixes are the next rarest in production.

Mosesatm

Unfortunately, as proven with the HCSs, rare does not always translate to valuable. Canydapple red cars with green interiors are probably rare but I doubt they will ever be any more valuable than other combinations.