• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Question about Lucas Light Mounting Location

miller511

I noticed while installing a new radiator on the '68 CS...
The mounting location for my Lucas lights (on the bottom grille piece) are not aligned with the center line of the marchal mounts in the grille. Mine are maybe 1/2" out toward the headlights on each side. In other words, if you put a (vertical) level from the center line of the Marchal bracket mounting hole, the location of the Lucas center line mount is off 1/2" or so toward the fender (at least they are symetrical). My CS was built April 2, which the way I understand it, it left the factory with Marchal lights (they had Marchals leaving the factory through April 15?). And then later, after the recall, probably before it was sold, had the dealer install the Lucas lights (mine have the Shelby square bases).

So, I'm wondering if the dealer just eyeballed it. Or would they have been AR enough to have sent out mounting instructions (or a paper template). Paul, any info on this? Is it detailed in the first or second book (that I don't have)? Or, are they even supposed to be lined up?

For others with Lucas lights, how lined up are your Lucas' to the Marchal brackets?

Thanks, Jeff

P

PNewitt

There was more than one goofy install on original cars that came in from the recall. I've seen one where the spacer was mounted UNDER the flat sill, yet with all the right hardware there, and the Lucas light was sitting directly on the sill !! So-- 1/2" off is not unusual.

I've never seen or heard of any "mid '68" Lucas retrofit installation templates and papers for the dealer, but I'd sure like to see them!

Casey has the blueprint that locates the proper hole location--exactly. Maybe he can provice a reduced image of it here for you. Of course, I'll cover in detail in the book.

Paul N.

case12

If I understand the request correctly, I dont think we have that blueprint from the recent find. The recent blueprints we found were from the original roll-out which were Marchals. I think the blueprint referred to is from the recall, and is in Paul's book. I believe someone has scanned that in before and posted it. If not, I can do so earlier next week. Let me know. Thx, Casey

P

PNewitt

Yes, you are right, Casey...
It's in my 1996 Registry book.

If Jeff or anyone else needs it ASAP, I can scan it and post it.

Thanks,
Paul.

OP
OP
miller511

miller511

Paul/Casey,

Thanks. I'll look forward to seeing the Lucas layout after Paul gets it scanned.

-Jeff

Mosesatm

Here you go.

Attachments

• Page 42.jpg
    Page 42.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 67
P

PNewitt

Well....that page is from my 1989 book (© PMN), and it reminds me of just how much can change in almost 20 years. this pre-dates when I received the blueprints in the 1990's (what I thought was all of them--until we found more recently on EBAY).

The measurement shown above isn't quite right. If you have my 1996 book, go to page 119.

The Shelby American blueprint I have gives the following dimentions for the holes for the Lucas light mounting into the grille "sill' piece. It shows the RH side, just reverse for the LH side:

From the actual flat edge (forget the center piece) of the sill piece, it is 14.84 inches (14 and 27/32") to the center of the hole.

The hole is 1" from the front (facing) edge of the sill piece to the centerline of the hole.

The hole diameter is .62" (or about 5/8")

This should help.

Paul N.

h20cycle

Hi, I realize this is a crazy-old thread but might there be a link to the most recent book referred to above? I like to buy it. Also, I am an absolute NOOB / GROM so go easy on me if I have broken etiquette by reviving an ancient thread and slightly changed the subject. PK

franklinair

WELCOME ! And congrats on your new car. Lots of info & help here. I don't have my books handy at the moment, but I'm sure someone will chime in and give you the book info. If not, I'll check tomorrow.

Neil