• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Ran the Ford Gt at a local 1/4 strip....result....

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

60 to 130 in 7.4 sounds pretty awesome haha. i have ordered my 3.70 axle ratio so i will be able to do more than 115mph. getting my car prepped to run 10s on july 18th hopefully

have you listed specs on your car somewhere? link?

curious to see and match it to my GT.

davidathans

Nothing really to compare other than horsepower #s and e.t.'s and speeds from my drag races, but

Here you go:

Engine:
A stock block from an 87-95 5.0 Mustang was used, but bored and stroked out to 347 cubic inches(5.7L). Inside the block are all forged components: 4340 forged steel crank, forged H-beam rods, and SRP forged pistons. The cylinder heads are Air Flow Research 185s with upgraded valve springs with titanium retainers, milled for 56cc combustion chambers for a 10:1 compression ratio. Controlling the airflow is a Lunati camshaft with hydraulic roller lifters. The cam specs are: Lift (using 1.6 ratio aluminum roller rocker arms): 0.544” intake and 0.560” exhaust, Duration: 232 degrees at .05” intake and 242 degrees at .05” exhaust (290 and 300 degrees advertised respectively), Lobe separation: 110 degrees. The air fuel mixture comes in through a Holley 4779C “750 double pumper” carburetor sitting on top of an Edlebrock Performer RPM aluminum intake manifold. Bob Jennings machined off the Holley’s air horn, removed the choke, and put in larger emulsion holes and air bleeds to bring in more cfm. With the MSD pro-billet distributor with vacuum advance and MSD6AL box, Jennings dyno-tuned the car and set the initial timing at 16 degrees with 20 degrees built in for 36 degrees total timing. The fuel is supplied to the carburetor by two fuel pumps. A Holley “Red” electric fuel pump pushes from back by the gas tank to a 97GPH Holley mechanical fuel pump. The engine is cooled with an Edlebrock aluminum water pump and a Griffin aluminum radiator. The engine breathes out of Hooker super competition long tube headers with 1 5/8” primaries to large collectors, which are connected to a custom, mandrel-bent 2.5” exhaust with a “double cross over” and Magnaflow mufflers that terminate at the rear axle, built by LaBree Motorsports.
Drivetrain:
The transmission is a C4 automatic with beefier 26 spline input shaft, built by A-1 Racing Transmissions. The torque converter is a 10” “3500rpm stall” converter made by Continental Converters. The stock 8” rear end has been replaced by a Ford 9” taken from a ’79 Lincoln Mark V. Inside the nine inch is an auburn limited slip differential for custom 31 spline axles. The ring and pinion ratio is 4.111:1 (37/9).
Suspension:
The suspension setup is for drag racing. Calvert Racing’s Caltrac’s traction bars were used to put the power to the ground. They recommended RanchoRS9000 9-way adjustable rear shocks and Carrera 90-10 shocks with lighter V-6 mustang coil springs in front. They measured the pinion angle at 2 degrees and measured a full five inches of front suspension travel. Tubular sub-frame connectors were also welded in.
Brakes:
The car originally came with disc brakes up front and drums in the rear, but those too were upgraded. The car now has Baer 13” cross-drilled and slotted rotors up front with performance two piston calipers and Baer 11” cross-drilled and slotted rotors in the rear with performance two piston calipers. For beautiful burnouts that don’t burn up the rear pads, a Hurst Roll Control line lock was also installed.
Now, this California Special puts down 478 Horsepower to the rear tires at 6500rpm and a whiplashing 456lb-ft of torque, but that’s with a 150HP boost of Nitrous oxide. Without the spray, the engine puts 378HP at 6500rpm and 360lb-ft of torque to the ground. Running “all motor”, on August 11th, 2007 at California Speedway in Fontana, with 4.11 gears, running 11psi in the slicks, at 11am, the GT/CS turned 11.989 @ 111.79mph with a 1.687 60’ time. That was my first time breaking out of the 12s.
On December 6, 2008, I went back out to California Speedway in Fontana to experience the nitrous system. The tune was modified for the nitrous by taking six degrees of initial timing out, to 10 degrees of initial timing for 30 degrees total. Autolite 3924 spark plugs were installed and gapped to 0.030”. Running nitrous also required using 100 octane VP gasoline. He raced a 2007 Shelby GT-500 that had cheater slicks, intake, exhaust, and a supercharger pulley with engine tune, running stock 3.31 gears, which turned 11.539 at 120.25mph. I beat him by half a second with an 11.085 at 110.14mph on a 1.668 60’ time even having let off and on the throttle because I hit my maximum, safe engine speed of 6700rpm, 300 feet before the finish line and didn’t want to blow my engine. Next, I plan on installing 3.70 gears so I can turn in the high 10s at 120mph. See videos of my GT/CS at www.myspace.com/gtcs347.

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

good stuff.

I was curious how you were getting those 60ft times. Suspension, trans brake, rear gear all make sense.

Buddy of mine locally has a GT that has a upgraded supercharger (Whipple) and uses a 100 shot of NOS. He ran a 10.7 at 140mph on the stock crappy Goodyear F1 street tires. Also, he did not launch it real hard. :)

davidathans

no trans brake...wish i had it....i have to power brake using the brake pedal to 2000-2500rpm and smash the gas coming off the line. If i had a clutch or a trans brake, i could leave the line at 4000-5000rpm i would be pulling 1.5 60' times, but for the trans brake i would need an 8" torque converter and it would be a race only setup and i woudnt be able to drive it on the street/freeway

if i could buy a supercar, it would be a ford gt or a porsche carrera GT...if i had your life i would have both of them hahaha

are you considering putting some nitrous on your GT? probably not even necessary haha especially when you upgrade to the twin turbo 1000HP setup

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

once the turbos go on (in addition to leaving the supercharger) there is no need for NOS. 1000 rwhp I think will do. :)

Last edited:

Mosesatm

Jason, there is a program on the Speed HD channel called "Supercars Exposed". A big portion of this episode was about the Texas mile and one of the cars they keep showing is a white Ford GT but I can't tell if it's yours.

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

Jason, there is a program on the Speed HD channel called "Supercars Exposed". A big portion of this episode was about the Texas mile and one of the cars they keep showing is a white Ford GT but I can't tell if it's yours.

They have 2 episodes from the Texas mile. If it is the one where Tanner drives a carrera porsche down the mile that is not the episode I was in.

The newer version of the Mile shows me at the very beginning spinning a 4 way lug wrench while putting my slicks on the gt. It also shows my gt from the rear doing a run. This is at the very end of the episode.

They filmed inside my car with me doing a run. They did not show it in the episode

hopefully they will be out again in October when I have the 1000+ rwhp twin turbo kit in the gt. :)

Mosesatm

They have 2 episodes from the Texas mile. If it is the one where Tanner drives a carrera porsche down the mile that is not the episode I was in.
The newer version of the Mile shows me at the very beginning spinning a 4 way lug wrench while putting my slicks on the gt. It also shows my gt from the rear doing a run. This is at the very end of the episode.

They filmed inside my car with me doing a run. They did not show it in the episode

hopefully they will be out again in October when I have the 1000+ rwhp twin turbo kit in the gt. :)

That's the one. He also drove a gray GT.