• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Russian envelope/postage...

chattymatty

This is a longshot but here goes...

About 7 years ago I saw on ebay a guy selling a Russian Federation envelope with a Meadowlark Yellow GT/CS on it. It was kind of like what we would think of as a postcard, with a pretty picture, except that it was an envelope. Sadly I was devastatingly broke at the time (had just dropped out of grad school) and couldn't justify the $10. Anyone heard of these/have one they could scan for me? I really really think it was a pic of my car circa 1992 or so before it was stolen and stripped (long story).

Thanks,
-M

OP
OP
chattymatty

chattymatty

it would look similiar to this:

which I believe was made from the same photo.

Thanks again,
-M

Attachments

• !Bs,Qb0QCGk~$(KGrHqEH-CEEvQT2HuSGBL3vjdGQCg~~_12.jpg
    !Bs,Qb0QCGk~$(KGrHqEH-CEEvQT2HuSGBL3vjdGQCg~~_12.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
chattymatty

chattymatty

A little more time today for the backstory...

For the skeptics, lol.

It was 1991 and I just had the car painted, and took it down to the beach (San Diego) for some photos. In the parking lot at South Mission Beach I found an empty few spaces and began to snap a couple shots. Then a guy with a REALLY expensive-looking SLR rig walked up, and in a European accent (I thought Swedish at the time, but who knows) asked me if I would mind if he took a couple shots of the car too. Being 20 years old and just plan giddy that my parents loaned me the money to get the car painted, of course I agreed. It is my suspicion that photographer sold the photo to someone over in Europe, where it became the Russian envelope and this card I only just discovered.

I know, I know, wishful thinking from a guy who lost a best friend to car thieves desperate to "connect with the dead" (anyone have John Edwards' number? :cheesy:) who'll believe anything...but open both pics in side by side windows:

Meadowlark Yellow isn't exactly a "Main Dish" color like red or white or blue, so if production was greater than 15% I'd be very surprised. Add to that the higher survival rates of "cool" colors (think Re-Sale Red) relative to less popular ones.

Both cars have EXACTLY the same exterior options: bumper guards, rocker trim, SS wheels (w/ plain caps), driver side mirror but not passenger side and both cars have Marchals w/ attached rear reflector. Both cars are clearly lowered. Both cars have all four windows rolled down. Neither car has the common "mistakes" (crooked tape stripe, horse & bars emblem on front fender).

Although the wheels are from a slightly different angle, and look retouched (taller tires), that would have been easy enough to do even back when as I was running 60 series which looked like crap (did I mention I was 20?).

Ok, so yeah, I suppose there COULD have been 2 identical GT/CS' rolling around in show-ready condition in 1991/92 with EXACTLY the same options, color etc. But here's where it gets really freaky: check out the angle of the sunlight and the reflections in the paint. The shadows have been reduced a little bit when the car was cropped out of the fore/background, but the angle is the same: about 2 hours before sunset on a bright sunny day, with the nose of the car pointed SW. Notice the wedge of sunlight near the rear wheel. The angle of the wedge of sunlight under the license plate (headers visible in my photo). Check the profile of the reflection in the rear quarter panel.

But the clincher IMO is the reflection in the rear window. Due to my angle, the palm tree is to the right of the A-pillar, the rear-view mirror centered in the passenger side C-pillar, and the brambles in the background are visible to the right of the driver's side C-pillar. Put a photographer six-ten feet to my left (where he was standing) and the rear-view mirror would move to the right relative the passenger C-pillar. The palm tree would move to the left of the driver side A-pillar. And if you look in the rear window, compare the profile of the greenery in the card (which has clearly been altered) with the shape of the large branch in my photo...freaky-deaky!

Attachments

• Image (6).jpg
    Image (6).jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
chattymatty

chattymatty

thanks Tom

I have the card coming, but was hoping for the envelope too if i can track it down.

Mosesatm

Is this it?

Attachments

• Envelope Small.jpg
    Envelope Small.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
chattymatty

chattymatty

That's EXACTLY it.

Looks like the same rendering too. I posted a longer story about that day but it's pending admin approval, lol. Has to be my car, just HAS to be.

Any chance you'd part with it?