• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Side Scoop Screen Rivets

patnpat

Hi All:

The scoop screen kits from major suppliers all appear to include washers with the rivets. Normally washers are used with pop rivets as back side support. However, to use the washers you would have to remove the scoop to install the screens.

The post at http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4349&highlight=scoop+screens shows original Ford parts. There does not appear to be any washers to back up the rivets.

Is it possible to install the screen rivets without the washers?

Thanks, Pat

dalorzo_f

Sure, it is possible, just push them in and pop in place.

Issue is they can fracture the fiberglass as the washer helps retain the expansion end a bit, keeping the bulge on the backside of the fiberglass and putting the load on the larger bearing are of the washer...

OP
OP
P

patnpat

That is what worries me. Pop rivets are designed to stress and "pop" with a washer on the back. I thought it was interesting that the NOS Ford parts did not show a washer.

Does someone have a Ford parts book that shows whether or not there were washers used originally?

If necessary, I can pull the back seat and side panels so I can remove the side scoop. Do I also have to remove the window regulator?

Pat

dalorzo_f

Well, most uses don't require a washer as the general term "blind rivet" is also used.

Example, on the rocker panel clips no washer inside as its a steel panel...

You can buy aluminium head/shaft ones which "pop" at lower tension than steel.

Mosesatm

Well, most uses don't require a washer as the general term "blind rivet" is also used.

Example, on the rocker panel clips no washer inside as its a steel panel...

You can buy aluminium head/shaft ones which "pop" at lower tension than steel.

See bolded.
I've never had a problem installing the screens using aluminum rivets. Just go slow.

OP
OP
P

patnpat

Good to know. I have lots of aluminum pop rivets......probably not the correct size.... ;)
Pat