• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 sticky disc brake calipers

calspcl

They are not releasing very well. Looks like I will either need to rebuild/replace them. They are single piston calipers, should not be to hard to rebuild-right? Unless they are pitted. (memories of my 69 corvette). Or, is buying new/rebuilt a better option? suppliers?

thanks, Dan

dalorzo_f

Depend on if you want originals or not. If the piston is pitted, its likely the core is corroded too.

New pistons are fairly cheap.

You can buy complete assemblies for about $70 each... cheap and fast, remove the old, bolt on the new one... they are pretty good parts from the pair I got recently.

https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/mustang_caliper_assy_front_brake_rh-148153-350.html

https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/mustang_caliper_assy_front_brake_lh-148167-350.html

Just the piston is half the cost of the assembly!

https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/mustang_piston_disc_brake_caliper-103847-350.html

I've done both, its not too hard to get the piston in, be sure to buy new seals if you go pistons only...!

franklinair

Richard's suggestion of R&R @ $70 each is good & practical.
Or you can try removing the calipers, pop out the pistons, inspect for internal pits & rust. If OK, you can just clean out the old sludge and install new seals.

Neil

robert campbell

Be thankful that they are 1968 one piston calipers. In 1965 through 67 Ford used the Kelsey Hayes 4 piston calipers and they are very hard to clean out the groove in the piston bore for the seal due to their small pistons. I made a 90 degree angled "carbaloid" scraper just a smidge less in width than the groove itself, It allows me to reach in the small bores of these calipers to get the crud out.

If you do them yourself make sure you get all the crud out of these grooves to ensure a tight fit.

Rob

OP
OP
calspcl

calspcl

Thank you for the links and suggestions! Always great leads and suggestions here! My brakes were good last year and the past 20 years, but - I did not get the car out a lot last year and now they are sticking/releasing slowly. Still drivable but not acceptable. IYO, is this typically a corrosion issue, sludge, lack of attention or is my car feeling neglected? :)

BTW - Rob, I had a 65 with disc brakes, heard they were a PITA, thank goodness I did not have to go down that road. Sounds like you had the right tool for the job though! Good thing ford figured it out and went to a single piston!

dalorzo_f

Seals harden with age, maybe some sludge in the system resisting backflow. Take 'em apart, take a look, and do what is needed...

robert campbell

Thank you for the links and suggestions! Always great leads and suggestions here! My brakes were good last year and the past 20 years, but - I did not get the car out a lot last year and now they are sticking/releasing slowly. Still drivable but not acceptable. IYO, is this typically a corrosion issue, sludge, lack of attention or is my car feeling neglected? :)

BTW - Rob, I had a 65 with disc brakes, heard they were a PITA, thank goodness I did not have to go down that road. Sounds like you had the right tool for the job though! Good thing ford figured it out and went to a single piston!

Also flush the entire system. It is full of water and gunk!!! I have a power brake flusher that drives all the icky out!!!

Rob