• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Stripe install

franklinair

My memory bank crashed:rolleyes:
Getting ready to install the striping. The stripes have paper on both sides, one side paper is a thicker paper than the other.
Which peels off to apply the stripe to the body?
The instructions mention cleaning the surface with Naptha to be sure no polish remains on the paint surface. Anyone ever use that? I'll check with my painter before using any.

Neil

Mosesatm

I normally us wax & grease remover.
The thick opaque paper is the underside.

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

So I peel the thicker paper and apply the striping to the wet surface, and then peel the thinner paper from the striping after it has 'cured'?

Neil

Mosesatm

Neil,
I'm a bit of an oddball (I prefer rebel) in that I don't use water so I can't say if your wet method is correct.

I tape the stripes on the car where I want them and then run tape along the top edge of the paper to use as a guide. I then cut the bottom paper at the midpoint of the stripe and work my way both directions, using the guide tape.
Here's an example of the rear stripe after I applied one half of it.

Attachments

• Rear Stripe 2.jpg
    Rear Stripe 2.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Sorry to be so dense-BUT- my question still remains:

The striping is sandwiched between layers of paper. One layer of paper is thick, the other is thinner.
Which of the two layers should be peeled off prior to applying the stripe to the painted surface?

Neil
(I hate this type of work. I guess that's why I have a mental block for it.):mad:

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Got it. (And confirmed by my painter). Now my 2nd PITA question:
Trying to determine the correct arc @ the front wheel wells, and the distance from the wheel wells to the stripes.
What is the measurement from the headlite bucket seam to the edges of the arc?
And, what is the measurement from the rear edge of the fender to the arcs of that stripe?
When I get the layout correct, I think I'll make a template for future reference.

Neil

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Phase 1: (I'd rather hang by my thumbs than do this job.) :eek:

Neil

Attachments

• IMG_0124.JPG
    IMG_0124.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 26
OP