• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Taillight Question

GTCSMustang

Does anyone make the metal pieces that are shown in the picture below?

Thanks

Scott

Attachments

• KRbutcheredwiring....001.jpg
    KRbutcheredwiring....001.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 48
  • KRbutcheredwiring....002.jpg
    KRbutcheredwiring....002.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
GTCSMustang

GTCSMustang

Or does anyone have a set for sale? I'm trying to find them for a friend?

Thanks

Scott

Mosesatm

Wouldn't a good sheet metal shop be able to make those? It looks like all they would need is some flat stock, a round thingy, and a press.

joedls

Mosesatm said:
Wouldn't a good sheet metal shop be able to make those? It looks like all they would need is some flat stock, a round thingy, and a press.

I think they'd have to use a thingamajig instead of a thingy.

case12

There is another thread on this site that discusses how to do it with fiberglass. I was missing one when I got my car (why just one, I dont know). I had a local guy make a new one using an old one. He made the new one with fiberglass - but you cannot tell the difference. Casey

390cs68rcode

Mosesatm said:

I don't think Scott wants to take on another project of creating parts from scratch. :wink:

OP
OP
GTCSMustang

GTCSMustang

Actually, I was thinking of having some of them made...since there don't seem to be any out there. But I'd need a set as a pattern. Anyone got a set to loan? Or buy?

Jason, did you get the package I sent to your restorer?

Scott

P

PNewitt

These plates are extremely hard to find, and were also used on the '68 Shelbys (not '67). Most likely there were made at A.O. Smith, along with some other metal parts, by a side company called "Mitchell-Bentley" that made smaller trim parts, such as your cigar lighter bracket.

I haven't seen the ones in fiberglass. Interesting.

Since these are so difficult to find, one could look for these in the trunk as part of the search for authenticity. Clones usually don't have these, and that is why the owners don't like to open the trunk to show anyone.

"IF" anyone wishes to reproduce these, note that at the base of the sphere, there are buckling-type marks from the pressure of the stamp vs. the thickness of the metal. The stamping has also distorted the square shape of the large piece, too.

These were painted a semi-gloss black, just like a lot of other black parts originally on Mustangs, Fords, of that era. Too often, repainted CS cars have body color covering these plates when the painter just sprayed into the trunk.

Paul N.

CougarCJ

I wonder if those are sections cut out of a Thunderbird tail light panel?

I looked on my 1968 Cougar and that one is a little different.

rvrtrash

CougarCJ said:
I wonder if those are sections cut out of a Thunderbird tail light panel?

I'm sure Ford would've had the parts made rather than have some assembly line worker cut 10,000 sets out of perfectly good, brand new tail light panels.
There is the possibility that you might be able to cut your own out of a wrecked '65 T-bird though. I don't know what the T-bird panel looks like without the lights but if I see one in a wrecking yard, I'll keep it in mind.

Steve

harryz

GTCSMustang said:
... But I'd need a set as a pattern. Anyone got a set to loan? Or buy?
Scott

Scott, I have a GT/CS parts car with a set of these. I'd be willing to loan them to you if you're willing to pay the shipping from/to Hawaii. Send me a private message if you're interested and we can work out the details.

Harry Z.