• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Tie rod ID

dalorzo_f

Have 4 off my '68 X code (not a GTCS and becoming the EXP repli-bute, not a reprobate, like me! :wink: ). The inner had the metal lipped dust boot (no number on them) and lipped edge around the ball joint. The outer the lipped edge too, but just rubber boots with a spring inside, but a very tight fit to the lip.

No grease fitting on the bottom.

One pair has a "B" stamped in the metal disc of the round base, the other pair, nothing, Other than that they look pretty much identical.

Any way to tell if they are OEM, or some older service replacements?

Ruppstang

Here are some posts on the Concours Mustang site.

View Profile
Email
Personal Message (Offline)

Identifying OEM tie rod arms

« on: Today at 08:26:59 AM »

Have 4 off my '68 X code. The inner had the metal lipped dust boot (no number on them) and lipped edge around the ball joint. The outer the lip, but just rubber boots with a spring inside, but a very tight fit to the lip.

No grease fitting on the bottom.

One pair has a "B" stamped in the metal disc of the round base, the other pair, nothing, Other than that they look pretty much identical.

Any way to tell if they are OEM, or some older service replacements?

Report to moderator Logged

8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - Cal Special
8F01X : 65A I 2A 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 to be

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline 67gta289

View Profile
Email

Re: Identifying OEM tie rod arms

« Reply #1 on: Today at 08:30:02 AM »

I thought that the general consensus was that all service replacements had a grease fitting, which makes the Ford NOS parts incorrect for those after a factory correct look.

John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
MCA 74660

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Online ruppstang
View Profile
Email
Personal Message (Online)

« Reply #2 on: Today at 08:42:48 AM »

Modify

Remove

All factory boots had the metal retainer external and as John said no grease fittings. It is very common to see original ends on the inside, the outers were the first to be to replaced.
Modify message

Report to moderator 75.88.69.240

Offline Bob Gaines
Global Moderator
View Profile
Email

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:28:28 AM »

Quote from: ruppstang on Today at 08:42:48 AM

All factory boots had the metal retainer external and as John said no grease fittings. It is very common to see original ends on the inside, the outers were the first to be to replaced.

To elaborate on Marty's comments - Ford production tie rod boots changed in very late 69 production . After that point the tie rod boots did not have the metal ring pressed on retainer. They had a internal spring that held them on the tie rod. All of the service replacements from that time forward had the internal spring boot also. The ones with the metal rings and the "B" markings are typical OEM assemblyline on a 68. The ones without the metal ring are later service replacements or aftermarket. Ether type can and sometimes is modified to accept a grease zert.

Bob

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

And the info and pics I got from Scott Fuller showed the "non-B" service replacements to be basically the same as OEM 69/70 ones...