• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Twister Special

68sunlitgold

This was on the Mustang Specials site:

1970 Twister Special

The Kansas City District's Twister Special was an outcropping of the bankrupt American Raceways Inc Pace cars. These specially ordered Mustangs became the starting point for the 96 kicked off High-Performance Orientation Day at Kansas City International Raceway on November 7, 1969. All Twisters were painted Grabber Orange, had special graphics on the side panel and the shaker scoop option. All cars were supposed to have 428 SCJ but there were not enough engines available to do 96 such cars with consecutive VINs so about half of the Twisters used new 351 Cleveland engine. One identifying feature of these Mustangs is the extra big block shock tower reinforcements.

Doug

Attachments

• 70twist.jpg
    70twist.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 12

rjw

As in interesting sidenote, I discovered at the MCA National in Augusta that Ford also made a Twister II, a 1985 model. Ford apparently made 90 Twister II's, and the entry in Augusta had 938 original miles. Of course, there was a pristine example of the "original" Twister there as well.
Richard

Mr. Shelby Guy

I believe that they weren't just Mach I's, but Ford also made Torinos avalible with the Twister Special. I believe I saw one in the Mustang Trader that had a 428 in it. If I find the ad I'll post it here.

66 Dearborn HCS

[quote author=68sunlitgold link=board=1;threadid=709;start=0#msg3839 date=1070197103]
This was on the Mustang Specials site:

1970 Twister Special

The Kansas City District's Twister Special was an outcropping of the bankrupt American Raceways Inc Pace cars. [/quote]

Another thing that is cool is that some of the original AR cars escaped the compacter and there are a few of the original pace car versions of the AR Inc. cars around (pre twister decal). I saw one in a Mustang and Fords several years back. Pretty car!!

Calspecialdreamer

I believe in the last couple of months they did an article on them in Mustang Monthly. I will post the month...

Calspecialdreamer

November 2003, towards the back has MUCH information about these rare vehicles and also about the twister II's