• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Value of Your CS/HCS for Insurance Purposes

rvrtrash

Not to slam any company here but I had State Farm on a previous collector car. For the record, they still have my daily driver, trailer, an unrestored car and house. I was rear ended by another State Farm customer and they tried to put the accident against my policy so I would have to pay the deductible. It took a letter to the state insurance commisioner to get them to back down. When it came to repairing my car, I had to hunt down the rare, hard to find parts myself. They did pay eventually for the parts but didn't seem interested in doing the leg work. I'm sure on a newer car where finding parts and getting it fixed isn't a problem, they would be just fine, which is why I'm still with them for those policies (and after 30 years with them I have guaranteed renewal policies) but I don't really want to go through the hassle of dealing with them on a collector car again. Hagarty's has a good reputation and their rates were 25% of what I paid State Farm.
Steve

hookedtrout

rvrtrash said:
Not to slam any company here but I had State Farm on a previous collector car. For the record, they still have my daily driver, trailer, an unrestored car and house. I was rear ended by another State Farm customer and they tried to put the accident against my policy so I would have to pay the deductible. It took a letter to the state insurance commisioner to get them to back down. When it came to repairing my car, I had to hunt down the rare, hard to find parts myself. They did pay eventually for the parts but didn't seem interested in doing the leg work. I'm sure on a newer car where finding parts and getting it fixed isn't a problem, they would be just fine, which is why I'm still with them for those policies (and after 30 years with them I have guaranteed renewal policies) but I don't really want to go through the hassle of dealing with them on a collector car again. Hagarty's has a good reputation and their rates were 25% of what I paid State Farm.
Steve

That's what we're looking for, seems the more difficult they (insurance) make it for you the less apt you are to push them to what they owe you, we need the down and dirty, good or bad. My gut feel has always been if you deal with a specialty insurance you will get dealt better as they are more experienced in what the needs are but I can not speak from experience. Be nice to hear from a Hagarty or Grundy insured on a few major claims and see how they were dealt with. I'm sure I could get references from Hagarty but I'm equally as sure they would be well selected.

Cory

Mosesatm

Since someone else started it I guess I'll chime in.

It's probably safe to say that State Farm is generally hated by most Texas residents. A big problem we have here is mold in the walls of our houses. State Farm decided that they didn't want to pay for mold abatement and even went so far as to stop writing new howeowners policies. They were losing the game so they decided to take their ball and go home.

They have recently started writing homeowner policies again but they fight to the death any mold abatement claim. I know a woman who basically has had no walls in her house for 4 years because she has been fighting with them over a mold issue.

I don't want to say they are a bad insurance company because I don't insure with them so I have no first hand knowledge of how they work. I just know what the people in Texas say, and it ain't pretty.

I guess one thing to remember is that insurance company employess are taught to say "no" so if you find one that says, "yes" it might be a good idea to stay with them.

390cs68rcode

for the record I have state farm for everything except my Mustangs. I left a Rolex on one of my cars fenders and drove around the block to check something and it fell off the car, I never found it (I don't keep my watches on my fenders anymore). They sent me a check 5 days later.

I have had some regular car claims and state farm is perfect. No home claims and I think they do not cover mold.

I have heard of someone that has Grundy and they were driving down the freeway and a rock hit their window. They called Grundy and they paid 100% of the cost to fix and a check arrived within 10 days. This is why I use Grundy amoung other reasons.

68gt390

It's pretty evident from reading this thread that we've all had different experiences with our insurance situations. I think it all boils down to what your looking for and how much you want to pay. I have yet to have a claim on either of my mustangs (knock on wood) but, have had a claim on my Toyota last summer after hitting a tree. :cry: Have had no problems with that claim so far. Things actually were handeled better than I expected.

Don

PFSlim

Guys

Even though it appears like I am beating the State Farm drum, I have not had a claim either. So.. it is hard for me to say what is good and what is bad. I think it is great to have you guys with other experiences share those with the group.

I am happy with the way the car is insured, but may be completely unhappy if something actually went wrong.

Great thread with great information.

Paul

19HCS68

I made a claim for a windshield with Hagerty after only one month after policy took effect. They paid 100%, let me choose who did the work and the glass that went in. No deductible, no milage restrictions. $165.00/yr. with tow option. I wish ALL insurance companies were as easy to deal with. But they're not. I've had bad experience with State Farm myself and would NEVER do business with them EVER!!! I don't care what deal they offer.:icon_no: Just MHO.

Mosesatm

Has anyone had the problem of his or her rates going up after a claim?

hookedtrout

68gt390 said:
It's pretty evident from reading this thread that we've all had different experiences with our insurance situations. I think it all boils down to what your looking for and how much you want to pay.

Don

I would agree, I would also add that I think another big contributor as to how you are treated is how much money you have and how much you insure with them. Take Jason's example, I'm sure they treat Jason good, he wears Rolex watches. Those of us wearing Timex watches may have a little more trouble getting the same respect as they know our lawyer avalability is more detached. No offense Jason it's just that we all know money talks and those with money get to go to the front of the line much easier than those without.

I would also think the agent could play a big part, the part of the country you live in as has been stated among other things but the best statement yet is the training them to say NO comment, isn't that the truth, unless the repercussion from a no could cost them more than a yes.

All good conversation!

Cory

Mosesatm

hcsstang said:
Hay, Don, how come they put a tree in the middle of the road?

Maybe he lives in this neighborhood

Last edited:

CalPaul

This is one GREAT thread. Nice to hear everyone's perspective on their insurance companies. I have AAA only because everything we own is under them, but after reading this thread its time to change. Next stop, get my Timex off the bumper......
Jason, I think you'll be hearing a lot about Rolex's on this site into the future.....

joedls

Mosesatm said:
Since someone else started it I guess I'll chime in.

It's probably safe to say that State Farm is generally hated by most Texas residents. A big problem we have here is mold in the walls of our houses. State Farm decided that they didn't want to pay for mold abatement and even went so far as to stop writing new howeowners policies. They were losing the game so they decided to take their ball and go home.

They have recently started writing homeowner policies again but they fight to the death any mold abatement claim. I know a woman who basically has had no walls in her house for 4 years because she has been fighting with them over a mold issue.

I don't want to say they are a bad insurance company because I don't insure with them so I have no first hand knowledge of how they work. I just know what the people in Texas say, and it ain't pretty.

I guess one thing to remember is that insurance company employess are taught to say "no" so if you find one that says, "yes" it might be a good idea to stay with them.

Arlie,

Do any of the insurance companies in Texas include coverage for mold abatement? I am in the mold abatement business and when it first became an issue, there were some huge insurance claims. It didn't take the insurance companies around here very long to start excluding this coverage. Not so good for my business, but understandable. And I'm no big fan of insurance companies. Believe me I've had my battles with several.

390cs68rcode

hookedtrout said:
I would agree, I would also add that I think another big contributor as to how you are treated is how much money you have and how much you insure with them. Take Jason's example, I'm sure they treat Jason good, he wears Rolex watches. Those of us wearing Timex watches may have a little more trouble getting the same respect as they know our lawyer avalability is more detached. No offense Jason it's just that we all know money talks and those with money get to go to the front of the line much easier than those without.

I would also think the agent could play a big part, the part of the country you live in as has been stated among other things but the best statement yet is the training them to say NO comment, isn't that the truth, unless the repercussion from a no could cost them more than a yes.

All good conversation!

Cory

I some what agree however I had two claims before I had some disposible income and was treated the same by State Farm.

I have been using my agent since I was 22 years old. When I call they recognize my voice and say my name before I get a chance (no caller ID help either). Sometimes you can get lucky (or unlucky) with insurance agents.

:smile:

Mosesatm

joedls said:
Arlie,

Do any of the insurance companies in Texas include coverage for mold abatement? I am in the mold abatement business and when it first became an issue, there were some huge insurance claims. It didn't take the insurance companies around here very long to start excluding this coverage. Not so good for my business, but understandable. And I'm no big fan of insurance companies. Believe me I've had my battles with several.

I don't know. I'll need to check my policy.

hookedtrout

390cs68rcode said:
I some what agree however I had two claims before I had some disposible income and was treated the same by State Farm.

I have been using my agent since I was 22 years old. When I call they recognize my voice and say my name before I get a chance (no caller ID help either). Sometimes you can get lucky (or unlucky) with insurance agents.

:smile:

I've always been told that you should change insurance regularly, it keeps them in check and keeps them in touch with your policy so it doesn't become stagnant and overpriced. Not easy to do and I don't do it as much as I should, I really like my agent right now so it's tough to go shopping but I bet I'd find a better rate if I did.

Cory

Mosesatm

Just signed up with Grundy (thanks Jason) for $230.

Restrictions are:
No drivers under 25. Had to sign and notarize a document for this.
Can't use the car to drive to work or school
Can't run daily errands with the car

Unlimited mileage and $300,000 coverage. The car is valued at $30,000.

All they wanted were a few signatures, pictures, and a check.

This coverage will work for this year since it won't be on the road much but when it's ready to go it'll be our secondary car. That will probably mean insuring it through my normal home/auto insurance agent.

68gt390

hcsstang said:
Hay, Don, how come they put a tree in the middle of the road?

I wish that would have been the case. Unfortunately it was the herd of deer that was in the middle of the road. If I'd of had a jeep or something in that nature my off roading experience would of been much more enjoyable. The funny thing about the whole ordeal was of all the yards I could have choosen to have run off the road in this particular yard was the only one with a complete row of 8 trees running the length of the front access to his yard. After all was said and done I asked the owner why he was the only one on the block that had a tree line set up this way - His answer "To keep folks from running off the road and tearing up my yard". Well, he accomplished that but, it sure did tear up my car. I guess he'd experienced several other similar accidents in the past and was tired of having to reseed his lawn. :grin: I'm just glad it was raining and I wasn't driving the CS or the GT. I'd still be deer hunting (in or out of season).

Don