• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Vinyl top

franklinair

Does anyone know or remember if '68 Coupes with vinyl tops had a metal retainer strip in the rain gutter (secured with pop rivets?) to secure the vinyl?
I've seen ONE, but it wasn't a San Jose car.

Neil

Ruppstang

Does anyone know or remember if '68 Coupes with vinyl tops had a metal retainer strip in the rain gutter (secured with pop rivets?) to secure the vinyl?
I've seen ONE, but it wasn't a San Jose car.

Neil

Yes they did.

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

OK.
Are they still available?
Anyone got any?
Sample so as to fabricate?

Neil

68 special

Neil, I looked everywhere I could think of to look. I couldn't find any so I fabricated my own. My car had the rivet holes from the original top, but the strips disappeared. So, I fabbed, clamped, cleco'd and back drilled the strips. My strips I made were about 1/4" wide, so doesn't leave much edge margin on the rivet holes. Afterwards, I sealed over the entire length, covering the rivet tails.

So far so good.

Good Luck, hope you can find some.

Bret

dalorzo_f

When doing mine (3 vinyl top cars, 2 San Jose, one Dearborn) I did not find the old strips.

I just glued the top into the channel with high quality contact cement and then filled the channel with Sikaflex sealant. 7 years on the oldest, no issues so far...

robert campbell

My GNS had them. They were in good condition. It had a white replacement top on it and the installer put the top over the strips. Not very bright.

Most times that I saw them, they were not covered by any sealer. Certainly sealer will work great if you do not have the strips. The strips were made of a very thin stainless material.

Rob