• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Water in Battery Tray

stangfan

OK, this may seem like a strange question, but I have often wondered. I rarely wash my GT/CS with water. Each time I take it out for a drive, I dust it off with a California Duster, and when it needs a bit more, I use Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer. I wax it a couple of times a year. I really try to avoid a water wash, and when I do, I will put a cowl cover on to keep the water out of the cowl, even though the cowl is solid. I figure, why even let the water in there if I don't need to do it.

When I have washed a 67-68 Mustang, water always seems to get under the battery into the tray. I end up taking the battery out, and drying the tray out before re-installing it. My question is, is there a way to avoid the water getting into the tray in the first place?

Thanks. :grin:

robert campbell

Steve,
I would think a shot of compressed air would do the trick to drive the water out. You could also lay a small plastic fan near it and that will dry that area out very fast.

Rob

OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

Do you think there would be any issue with moisture right under the battery? I guess the engine heat would take care of that too.

Yeah, I'm anal about my GT/CS...:grin:

Thanks Rob.

robert campbell

Under the battery itself can be a concern. Groit's Garage used to carry a battery mat similar to the below. These mats absorb battery acid and keep your battery tray looking nice.

I bet you could get some plastic tarp material and get some thin magnets and cover you battery area while you wash it. This would keep nearly all the running water out. You may even be able to tuck it a bit under the fender lip. They sell the magnet stuff in a strip roll. You could cut a piece a foot or so long and I bet it would hold the plastic down nicely.

Rob

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sft-batterymat1/overview/

OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

I have used the battery mat and in fact the mat is what brought the water issue to my attention. I could see the edge of it under my battery and it looked a little strange. After removing the battery, I found that the mat was wet and there was still some moisture between it and the tray. That is the reason I stopped using them.

The magnet idea is interesting though. I'm going to ponder that one.

Thanks Rob. :grin:

somethingspecial

If you don't wash with water, where is the water coming from. Are you sure the moisture is not battery acid? I had the same problem with my green car and it never saw water. Turns out it was from the battery which went bad. My Driver car kept boiling out the battery from the overcharging voltage regulator and flooded the battery tray, the rest was picked up by the fan and sprayed all over the engine bay. I installed an electronic VR and now have no problem.