• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Whats up with this Decklid?

I just saw a decklid on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33656&item=2433277107

The top has been resurfaced with fiberglass and gray gell coat. But, It does appear to be original. But seller neglected to mention this in his auction. He expects to get more than $750 for it. Why do you guys think he resurfaced it? I can't figure it out.

I've seen original decklids sell for as much as 900 dollars, but this one is in really bad shape.

-=MUSTANG=-

When I stripped the original paint off my decklid there was gray primer under the paint. The primer is different on the fiberglass parts to get the color coats to match properly. It looks to me like that decklid is original or someone primed it to match a factory job during a respray. I don't think a factory paint would peel off like that. His price is high because he is billing that as a Shelby part, if his claim was a GT/CS part his bids would probably be lower.

quicknick

The primer on this decklid looks to be "extrafil". The guys here in the body shop call it "liquid bondo".
It's used to cover and smooth fiberglass when the gel coat has been compromised.
I'm not sure why the paint is peeled like that. Looks like someone started stripping it with aircraft stripper, or it has been exposed to some other harsh chemical.

The decklid is original. The key is to look at the damaged area. Original Shelby/GT/CS/HCS fiberglass composite has a pinkish hue to it, repops don't.

OP
OP
M
I don't think this decklid is worth more than $200. There is too much work done on the top, probably to fix stress cracks and wavyiness. But I can say for sure, its not worth $400 dollars in its condition.