• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Winter Project

speedy02

This past winter I took on what I thought would be a small project but it turned into a larger project that kept getting deeper and deeper. Back story when I purchased my car April of last year the heater core went out. Not that big of deal in the summer as I capped the water feeds and just drove the car without a heater. So, When fall hit I started taking everything appear and getting parts for a A/C car for the heater box.

Started pulling the heater box and once I got the console and heater box out, I notice that at some point in my car's life that the firewall pad had been removed and they didn't replace it with anything. These started a little bigger project than I thought it would be because you have to remove EVERYTHING from the firewall from Driver side to passenger side. During that process I notice the wiring harness was not installed correctly and had a few repairs done to it along with an ignition switch replacement. I was having problem with the emergency lights and cigarette lighter not working. The fuse would blow as soon as you used either of them. Once I removed the fuse box it appeared that the wiring for that fuse may have been hot at one point because the shielding was very sticky. So, I started sourcing a new wiring harness and choice the Alloy wiring harness and it was prefect to the original and was somewhat easy to install, just time consuming. Now everything works as it should and looks just like the original. The heater box also had to be replaced due to some fiberglass cracks but most of all looks like someone pushed in on the bottom too much and cause the little small door on the inside to not operate normally. So, I choice to purchase the ABS plastic box which was better than I thought it would be. Very little adjustments had to be made and everything went back together pretty easily. Under the hood I notice that the previous owner made a poor repair on the fuel line. They used a rubber hose right off of the fuel pump. Car had a small power steering leak that leaked right on the fuel line which created a fuel leak. So, before I could get everything for the A/C and heater set under the hood I had to rebuild my pump and replace the fuel line with the steel line that is correct. All has finally come together this past weekend and I own a lot of thanks to a few people.

1. Arlie @Mosesatm - During this process he has helped with some of the small clips under the dash and knowledge of where to find parts outside the major part suppliers.
2. Neil @franklinair - This gentlemen give is heart and soul into these cars and is ALWAYS there to help. When NPD (Only source for power steering pump paint) was out of stock he offered up his can so I could complete my power steering project.
3. Marty @Ruppstang - If you every have a hard time finding some rare parts there is a good chance, he has it. I was able to get a 7AD pulley from him when there were not many if any option out there.

Thank you to all that have helped me on this project. Without each of you I am not sure I would be done with this project. We have a great group of people here and it is not unnoticed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
speedy02

speedy02

Picture of some of the items I found a long the way and finished pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0444.jpeg
    IMG_0444.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1040.jpeg
    IMG_1040.jpeg
    253.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1036.jpeg
    IMG_1036.jpeg
    430.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1035.jpeg
    IMG_1035.jpeg
    252.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_9276.jpeg
    IMG_9276.jpeg
    273.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9274.jpeg
    IMG_9274.jpeg
    271.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_9293.jpeg
    IMG_9293.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0419.jpeg
    IMG_0419.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0415.jpeg
    IMG_0415.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0414.jpeg
    IMG_0414.jpeg
    221.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0413.jpeg
    IMG_0413.jpeg
    252.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0443.jpeg
    IMG_0443.jpeg
    197.3 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
speedy02

speedy02

Remove the grille and painted the correct color.

Attachments

• IMG_1057.jpeg
    IMG_1057.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1031.jpeg
    IMG_1031.jpeg
    414.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1033.jpeg
    IMG_1033.jpeg
    280.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1038.jpeg
    IMG_1038.jpeg
    431.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1041.jpeg
    IMG_1041.jpeg
    207 KB · Views: 43

Bobsdad

Glad it's wrapped up! I know it was a huge pain. Just in time for show season

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Ruppstang

I am glad you did the right thing and fixed the other things as you went along. The firewall pad will certainly help keep it cooler and quieter. I was glad I could help you.

OP
OP
speedy02

speedy02

@Bobsdad - Yes just in time for show season. The main event I had on my schedule was MidWest Blue Oval Clubs - Thunder on the Mountain. That event is a little over 2 hours away drive from me. So I decided to go to another show one week before just to make sure I had all the bugs worked out of my car.

So on June 17th, I took a drive about 1 1/2 hours away in 90+ degree weather. The car did great NO overheating issues and the AC was blowing cold air. I don't do car shows to win trophies or anything so I was expecting very little. To my surprise, I won my class and also won a senior award.

IMG_1152 copy.jpg

IMG_1153 copy.jpg
IMG_1185 copy.jpg
IMG_1206 copy.jpg

OP
OP
speedy02

speedy02

Since everything went well the trip for June 25th to MidWest Blue Oval Club was a green light. This trip had weather in the 90s as well and a long drive thru the mountains. The car still did great no heating issues and the AC blew cool air. I mean when it's 95 degrees anything that can get into the 55 to 60 range feels good. Great event right at 200 Ford's showed up and I was able to collect a Top 25 award.
IMG_1209 copy.jpg
IMG_1363 copy.jpg
IMG_1308 copy.jpg

IMG_1329 copy.jpg
IMG_1334 copy.jpg