• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. Your thoughts on 64 1/2 Mustang

68sunlitgold

Ok, this is off topic as far as a GT/CS but my father in law gave me his '64 1/2 Mustang. It is in tough shape but it is the 2721st Mustang EVER built. The original engine is not in the car but he does have the original.

So, should I attempt to restore it? I am figuring it will cost me at least $30K to do (not concourse correct just driveable). Some of the metal is still good but I was not able to get under it to look at how the entire bottom looks like.

Thanks for your thoughts

Doug

Attachments

• DSC01427.jpg
    DSC01427.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC01430.jpg
    DSC01430.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC01436.jpg
    DSC01436.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 2012-06-02_18-37-09_501.jpg
    2012-06-02_18-37-09_501.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC01425.jpg
    DSC01425.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 74

BigJim

"Tough shape" is an understatement! If the car means a lot to you and you have the funds and skills go for it.

dalorzo_f

$30k to driver seems high, but hard to tell level of rust. But it does not look like it would be cheap.

First thing I would do is remove all the clutter, give it a good basic cleaning, and more clearly document :

1. what you have and condition (what's under the hood now? Running? Is it, or other "spare stuff" worth anything?). Do you have a "complete" car or 70%?
2. how much rust repair there really is

After that a better evaluation could be done. But it looks like a big task, but have seen far worse resurrected.... the F code makes it a bit unique.

Also, evaluate the VIN and get an idea of potential value from those in the know. Not sure how much it would add, if any. There is a production guide that can nail down build date fairly accurately off the VIN, do not have a copy.

x-codegtcs

For a very few, this is a business. To the rest of us it is a money pit hobby. So, I think it comes down to the question of how much this car means to you. I don't know what kind of contacts you have but depending on standard rust - qtrs, outers, floors, fender aprons, and a few other misc areas, you are probably about $5-6K for rust repair and another $3-6 for a driver paint job. Just a guess. Your $30K estimate seems a bit high to me, but I guess it depends on how much you can do on your own and how much to farm out.

If she means something special to you, then go for it... and enjoy!

Midnight Special

...Just another thought... Where I am, there are a lot of '64.5s and '65s. I know I don't pay that much attention to them and I don't believe they rouse as much curiosity as more unique models. $30K and way less time can get you into something more enjoyable in my (compulsive, impatient and non-restorer) opinion... :)