• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Maddawg

1968 GT/CS (Resto Mod)

Before you go to far crucifying me on this car, let me tell you a story. I purchased this car in January 1987 in a little town in Oregon and drove it back to California. I did a complete restoration in 1989 and I drove the car as a daily driver for more that 6 years and I hated the way it wondered on the road and tracked the ruts in the road. I replaced every front end component and I still feared I would get a ticket for drunk driving. I continued to drive the car often, just because I loved the looks of the car and the built 289 was quite fast with mid 14s in the quarter mile. I tried to sell the care twice, but my good wife convinced me to keep it, I love her more for that. In 1998 I added the wheels and the shaker hood scoop, (after market hood). In 2000 I won an award in a car show and the next week decided to restore the car for the second time and started to strip it down to bear metal, again. During the stripping process I discovered the source of the wondering front end, cracked towers. It was at this point that I decided that I would go more modern by replacing the shock towers with rack and pinion steering and coil over shocks, this should resolve the wondering. This created the next problem, the 289 engine, which now looked to small for the engine compartment, so I replaced it with a 351C. I purchased fabricated valve covers that would not clear the break booster, so I have added a hydroboot system. The engine is backed up by a 4R70W 4 speed automatic out of a 2004 F150 and controlled by the Baumannator TCS. I have then added A/C and build a custom single belt serpentine system with a cross flow aluminum radiator, with 3 electric fans. I have spent the last 10 years on this build, mainly due to money restrictions. I have repainted that car (in my garage) with base coat and 6 coats of clear.

Update:Now has a 99 all aluminum 32V 4.6L Cobra motor, T-45 5 Speed trans with hydraulic clutch, spec Stage 1 clutch on aluminum flywheel, custom 04 Cobra IRS with coil over shocks mounted in the trunk. Rear inner tubs have been mini-tubed to accommodate 313-35-17 wheels on 11" wide wheels.
There are no comments to display.

Album information

Album owner
Maddawg
Date created
Item count
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Album privacy

Maddawg