• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

klongfellow

1968 "J" GT/CS

The car that I wanted for 35 years is now mine!!

Serial Number 8R01J156956
Built at San Jose
Mustang Hardtop
302-4V Engine
R
J
DOOR DATA PLATE INFORMATION
56956th Ford vehicle scheduled for production at San Jose
65A Mustang Hardtop
D Acapulco Blue Paint, Ford #3077-A
2B Blue Standard Bucket Seats
08D Scheduled For Build: April 8, 1968
73 Salt Lake City Ordering District
5 3.00 Conventional Rear Axle
W C-4 Cruise-O-Matic Transmission

I've wanted one of these cars for about 35 years, every since a friend of mine had a blue CS. I almost ended up with one, three different times. Things happened and it didn't happen.

Until now!!:icon_ecst

This Acapulco Blue 302 came up for sale in Utah on a Local web site. It was listed as a 68 mustang with some really bad pictures. I couldn't even tell it was a CS, except for one picture of the rear tail light.
He was asking 5k, first I thought for a 68 mustang that's a bit much. Then I seen the tail light..
Really !! Could it be a real CS?? Hmmm

So I made a call, thinking that someone had already made a call and it was gone. :sad:

I called, and someone had made an offer, but he told me that it fell through that morning and no one had shown any interest but me!!

I'm on my way to look at it! It was 6:30 pm in the evening. I said to the wife, get dressed (she was all relaxed, watching the TV) she said where are we going. I said only about 50 miles to look at a mustang. She said WHAT!! I said trust me.. :grin:

We took off to look at it. When I got to the car my heart was pumping a 100 miles an hour!!:icon_pani

It was in really good shape, compared to the pictures on the internet. I said will it start, yep it did and ran really good!. I asked, is it original? He said yes it is. His dad bought it brand new in 1968.
He gave me the original first registration on the car, it came with it, when I bought it.

So I asked him, (sheepishly) are you stuck on the 5K for it?? He said, ya I would like to get that out of it.
No more questions out of me! I couldn't even try to talk him down..

I said I'LL BUY IT!! Now the fun began. It was late at night, I needed a trailer to bring it home and he wanted the money in $100 dollar bills!
Well that wasn't going to happen at 8:30pm that night!
No banks opened, no ATM is going to cough up that kind of dough! Sooo, I said, I will give you a $500 dollar check, to show that I really want this car!!

We agreed, Wow, It's almost mine!!

It took two more days to get the money, the time and the trailer to finally get the car!
I called every day! To make sure he was still okay and that the car was still there..

I couldn't hardly sleep for those days, waiting to get that car on the trailer and headed home! I don't think I have been that nervous or had that much anxiety over some thing for ever!

But it was a car that I have admired for a long time and now it was a couple of bucks and a few days away from being MINE!!

Well it all came together and I now own it! Now I can't wait to get the work done so I can drive it and show it!

I've only driven this car off the trailer and to turn it around in the road so I could pull the front end off.
:sad:

This car is an original CS bought in Utah, by the dad of the guy I bought it from. His mom had it in her name prior to him. She is the one that done most of the damage to it, by driving it every day all year long.
I think this is how the rust started.

But other than the rust in the the pictures, it is in really good shape.
It's been painted once/
All the chrome is original
I bought after market bumpers for it, I am going to get the original bumpers re-chromed (one day)
The wheels are original and the beauty rings were all there except 1 (I bought an after market ring)
They had the Lucas lights, not in the best of shape, but I might be able to salvage them, with some elbow grease and lots of polish!!
It has the typical pony sag in the rear, I am going to put a 5 leaf spring on it
New shocks and rebuild the front end,
All new brakes, master cylinder and drums

He pulled the heater core out, it needs to be redone anyway, so all new heater core, seals and motor

I am pulling the engine and transmission now, they will be detailed re-gasket-ed and whatever else they need.

Bead Blasting the engine compartment, repainting it

New grill, it was a bit bent. I think I can use a 1967 grill and take out the light brackets

Fix the light buckets, both have small cracks

And replace the back corner of the drivers fender and the inter fender skirt and all the rubber on the rest of the skirts

Put a new coat of Acapulco Blue Paint on it and New White CS strips on it (already bought)

And work on the interior, it needs carpet and seat covers

ALL a labor of MUSTANG Love!!

All my brothers and family are Dodge and Chevy owners! They give me crap all the time about owning Fords! I LOVE IT!! Except for my son, my Ford love has rubbed off on him with the Ford Mustang, but he still drives a Dodge Truck.

My first car was a 1964 1/2 289 4 speed HP coupe Mustang, It was the fastest car in town, For a small block. But I always gave the big blocks a run! And there wasn't many other small blocks that could keep up with it! FUN CAR!

All my cousins and brothers remember it, but still give me crap!

Now that I have this car. I thinks there is a bit of Ford Mustang Love showing up in all of them!!:grin:

I'm on my way! And can't wait to get it all put back together!

My cousin has agreed to paint it, (he is also a Chevy dude) He is a (good) painter and want's it in his portfolio. WHO WOULDN'T !!:grin:

I finally have my dream car!!!
:grin:
There are no comments to display.

Album information

Album owner
klongfellow
Date created
Item count
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings