• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Update on My Lime Gold GT/CS

Russ

I've been away for awhile and thought some of you might enjoy seeing the progress on my lime gold GT/CS (8R01J148913). The car was rescued from Flagstaff Auto Recyclers over 10 years ago, and is nearing completion...hopefully for the 2010 Knott's Show. The car is a nicely optioned car with PS, power disc brakes, console, Selectaire A/C, argent styled wheels, A/T and the J-Code engine.

I had the car painted two years ago, but the paint job was substandard, so it was redone by a man in Humbolt, AZ, and he did a superb job. The undercarriage is being completed to MCA concours standards, and the engine, while not original to the car, is a correct, 1968, four barrel 302 cu in engine. Then engine is nearly completed and is totally rebuilt. I just installed the headliner and the black upholstery is ready to install. I've had to use some reproduction parts since the car was in such poor condition, but most of GT/CS fiberglass is original (the only repro fiberglass is the passenger rear fender extension).

I've used the Marti report extensively to bring this GT/CS back to life, and I am very happy with the results. Russ

Attachments

• LeeTate GTCS 001.jpg
    LeeTate GTCS 001.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 84
  • LeeTate GTCS 006.jpg
    LeeTate GTCS 006.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 98
  • LeeTate GTCS 009.jpg
    LeeTate GTCS 009.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 83
  • LeeTate GTCS 012.jpg
    LeeTate GTCS 012.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 88
  • LeeTate GTCS 015.jpg
    LeeTate GTCS 015.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 86
  • Lee-Tate GTCS 002.jpg
    Lee-Tate GTCS 002.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Lee-Tate GTCS 003.jpg
    Lee-Tate GTCS 003.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 91
OP
OP
Russ

Russ

I thought some of you might like to see this car in a "before" condition. It was very poor at best. Russ

Attachments

• old Lee-Tate GTCS 001.jpg
    old Lee-Tate GTCS 001.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 81

franklinair

BEEEAUTIFUL!!
You're doing a superb job.
Don't let dieseldonna see this car- she'd wanna take it from you!

Neil

Midnight Special

...DD would only "take it " if Russ puts white stripes on it. But I'm sure she would return it after she removes her plates following the calendar photo shoot...
;-)

'Coming along very nicely Russ!

di81977

Great job bringing the car back to life.

What are you planning for the engine? I see aluminum heads, anything else.

Good luck with your remaining work.

David

Perkchiro

Beautiful work!! It's coming along very nicely. Would love to see the pictures when finalized.

hookedtrout

My compliments as well!

As soon as you get it all done and get bored call me, I've got one in way better shape to start with that you can work your magic on. ;-)

Cory

OP
OP
Russ

Russ

The engine is an original, 1968 302 engine with original, 4V heads (not aluminum). The head work includes new valves, hardened valve seats, and new springs. The heads were glass-bead blasted and milled to insure they were flat. The crank mains and rods are standard and required nothing else, other than new bearings. The cam is a new stock hydraulic, so you can tell that I'm keeping it pretty original. The date code on the intake is "8B4" so it fits with the build date of March 4, 1968. I feel lucky to have found a true 1968 J-Code engine to go into the car.

The interior color is code 2A, black standard vinyl. I think with the black GT/CS striping and the black interior, the car should "pop". I know many people chose to change the color of their lime gold Mustangs, but I really like this color when it is done "right".

I think it is interesting that there is a new post regarding the springs on the trunk lid, and since my trunk lid needed so much "work", my trunk lid does not want to remain open. This post was very helpful.

Thanks for all the compliments, and I'll keep you posted as it progresses. Russ

Last edited:

rvrtrash

It looks great Russ. FYI, when I had my trunk lid repaired, the guy put so much fiberglass in it, it wouldn't stay open either. There was hardly any definition to the spoiler, it just sloped up to the leading edge. I ended up grinding it all out and starting over. When you get ready to start putting all the stamps in the engine compartment, please share them. I had stamps made, on your patterns years ago but never got around to using them. I'd like to see where each one is supposed to go. Also, if you could tell me what you use as an "ink", it would be appreciated. Your stuff is always top notch.

Steve

sam

Very nice. You must have a great sense of accomplishment seeing where she came from. Would like to see the finished goods.

limelyt

The engine is an original, 1968 302 engine with original, 4V heads (not aluminum). The head work includes new valves, hardened valve seats, and new springs. The heads were glass-bead blasted and milled to insure they were flat. The crank mains and rods are standard and required nothing else, other than new bearings. The cam is a new stock hydraulic, so you can tell that I'm keeping it pretty original. The date code on the intake is "8B4" so it fits with the build date of March 4, 1968. I feel lucky to have found a true 1968 J-Code engine to go into the car.

The interior color is code 2A, black standard vinyl. I think with the black GT/CS striping and the black interior, the car should "pop". I know many people chose to change the color of their lime gold Mustangs, but I really like this color when it is dones "right".

I think it is interesting that there is a new post regarding the springs on the trunk lid, and since my trunk lid needed so much "work", my trunk lid does not want to remain open. This post was very helpful.

Thanks for all the compliments, and I'll keep you posted as it progresses. Russ

yes, another LIMER

Attachments

• GTCS.jpg
    GTCS.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 45

Ruppstang

Wow Russ it is on its way to being a top show car. Hope I can judge it some day. Marty MCA38812

J_Speegle

.......... When you get ready to start putting all the stamps in the engine compartment, please share them. I had stamps made, on your patterns years ago but never got around to using them. I'd like to see where each one is supposed to go. Also, if you could tell me what you use as an "ink", it would be appreciated. ................

Are you referring to the paint inspector stamps? If so be aware that they changed those (4 different versions) during 68 production, so you want to look at cars built at about the same time as yours. Of course each car should have two different inspectors in different locations ;)

Russ - looks good - Don't forget to paint the two rear valance screws before you put the rear bumper on. More difficult to fix that after it's in place ;)

Diesel Donna

The interior color is code 2A, black standard vinyl. I think with the black GT/CS striping and the black interior, the car should "pop". I know many people chose to change the color of their lime gold Mustangs, but I really like this color when it is dones "right".

Russ

Ooooh Russ I am so jealous. I remember when my paint was new and it was gorgeous. My interior is five shades of green so I kept it that way. I agree that most people,especially those with a black interior...changed the paint color. To me it makes it look more "60's".

It isn't easy being green.....Kermit said that

PonyGal

Beautiful job Russ!! Never thought I really liked that green color much, but now that I've seen how nice it can look, I changed my mind. Keep posting pics as you go along.

OP
OP
Russ

Russ

Steve, The color of the stamps depended upon the color of the car...darker cars had yellow stamps and lighter cars used a black. Jeff and I have corresponded about the placement of stampings, and I've used original cars to guide me on the stampings. I've used Testor's paint and poured the paint onto a small piece of cardboard. I take a small paint brush to spread out the paint on the cardboard and then put the stamp pad in the paint. Finally I stamp the fender, hood, headlight bucket, etc. If I don't like the stamping, I wipe off the stamp with mineral spirits and do it again.

Jeff, I guess I don't know what screw holding the valence panel you are referring to. I've now installed the bumperettes, and the bolts/screws are detailed, but maybe you can clarify this.

Thanks again for the kind words and I'll keep the photos coming. Russ

our special

Great job Russ, glad you stayed with the lime gold.

When we restored ours, we gave a lot of thought to changing the color but we stayed with the lime gold, and I'm glad we did.

We get so many compliments on the color that it even surprises me.

Good luck with the remainder of the restoration.

Dave