• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 New Guy Hello

Midnight Special

...Hmm... 'Strikes a tad bit familiar ;-)
Yes - worth restoring, but take your time and budget as you go. Looks to be a great (learning curve) candidate!

Attachments

• DSC_7343.JPG
    DSC_7343.JPG
    234.8 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC_7360.JPG
    DSC_7360.JPG
    200.2 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC_7366.jpg
    DSC_7366.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC_7368.JPG
    DSC_7368.JPG
    244.3 KB · Views: 26

Mosesatm

if you are trying to turn a profit on the car I think your time may be better spent restoring something else, but if you want a seriously cool car and the family history is important to you it looks like a keeper.
My concern is obviously with the considerable damage to the front of the car. It got hit hard!

OP
OP
S

Scotti

Rob, Niel, Tim and Mosesatm Thank you to each of you for your input! After very little thought I have decided to restore the car! I will take my time, I have a rotisserie at my disposal and the space to use it. So I am going to do a complete restoration to this little bit of history!

As I stated in my first post, I did have my heart broke earlier in my Mustang years. When I was 15, my father had a yellow 1965 coup, I loved that car, and of course this is the car I wanted for my first car! Still at 15, while walking down 1st street & Newhope in Santa Ana Calif. I saw a primer gray Fastback Mustang sitting on this guys property some what behind his house, you would never see it, if you were driving by. I got up close and sneaked a peak at it, looked like it was all there. It did not, have a for sale sign on it, but I knocked on the guys door and unfortunately he wasn't home. I came back the next day and tried again, and again no answer. Remember I'm 15 and unfortunately this guys house was several miles away from our house. A week went by and I headed over to the house, and this time I caught him in the drive way, I asked about the 1965 Fastback and was met with an abrupt "under no circumstances was that car for sale!!" My heart was broke. You see I had already put the car back together and was driving it around town, painted it yellow like my dads coup and going to the beach with it! (all in my head of course) but 15 what an age! Well a few months went by, I was walking down 1st street again, and saw the old gentlemen out in his garage, Fastback still out back ... I stopped to say hello, he replied with, do you still want that Mustang? Of course I jumped out of my skin while trying to mutter the words yessss... the old man explained to my father and I, that the car belong to his son who was killed in Vietnam! My dad bought the fastback for $1000.00 this was in 1977..I worked day and night on the 65 fastback putting it back together..I worked on the Fastback so much I was put on restriction from it for a week! My father said that when I had the car put back together, he would help me rebuild the motor. I had the car put back together with in 5 months. I was now 16 and unfortunately my father had past away from a massive heart-attack! just two months earlier, prior to my 16th birthday..I did get the Fastback running with the help of friends and family.. I was 17 when it happened! I drove the Fastback to my girl friends house as I had 100 times before. It was dusk, time for dinner, we took her car, as it was a newer Honda and not the 65.. The Mustang sat in front of her house as it had 100 times before. After Dinner, we headed home, as we turned down her street we could tell that there were cops and something big going on down by her house.. Well when we got there, we saw my 1965 Mustang Fastback sitting completely destroyed in the middle of the road! Destroyed, by a drunk Driver!

Oh did I mention that it was a SHELBY GT 350!!! Albeit I didn't know it at the time we bought it.....

True Story

Scotti

Ruppstang

Great story, lets hope this one has a happier ending. Good luck with the restoration. We are here to help.
Marty

robert campbell

Scotti,
WOW! What a loss. You have all our hearts and prayers that this restorations goes smoothly with many years of driving pleasure!

Especially if you make it go fast!!!!

Rob

OP
OP
S

Scotti

Thanks you guys! I am going to use this CS/GT as a bit of redemption. I hope to have a long lasting relationship with her!

Scotti

OP
OP
S

Scotti

Tim your Car will be my inspiration! I put the photos on my desk top!

Thanks you Batgirl89

Thank you

OP
OP
S

Scotti

Tim I'm a bit slow, but I love what you did to the car! Your cracking me up. I thought the car was your project, when you started, but I now see its my inspiration! LOL Here's how slow I am. I saw the rear wheel and thought, WOW he has the same rear wheel as on my car! I love the GT 350 reference. hehehe

Thank you

OP
OP
S

Scotti

Ya know I may play with the motor just a little bit hmmm.. Here's some photos of the motor I did for one of my Range Rovers.

Attachments

• 24.JPG
    24.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 26.JPG
    26.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 23

franklinair

Scott;
DO NOT communicate with Rob.
He is afflicted with spending OPM & scorching rear tires.:eek:

Neil:wink:

Midnight Special

...Seriously speaking, you obviously have the heart, soul and skills to turn that sadly C-code into an awesome ambassador of the GT/CS lineage - with befitting power, drama and excitement! I can't wait to hear of your driving adventures (which to me are the best car shows going) :) There's no better thing than to be caught (unexpectedly and spontaneously) in doing what you love!

Attachments

• _DSC0387.JPG
    _DSC0387.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 34

robert campbell

...seriously speaking, you obviously have the heart, soul and skills to turn that sadly c-code into and awesome ambassador of the gt/cs lineage - with befitting power, drama and excitement! I can't wait to hear of your driving adventures (which to me are the best car shows going) :) there's no better thing than to be caught (unexpectedly and spontaneously) in doing what you love!

amen!!!!