• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Trunk Weatherstrip

BroadwayBlue

I know there are other posts on this included one started by me :cool:

I just want to confirm a few things. I'm going to be installing the weatherstrip on my deck lid.

A few things I need to confirm are the following:

1. Should the adhesive be black or yellow? I thought I read black in a book (Paul's maybe) but Jeff Speegle posted to me in another thread that it should be yellow.

2. The open end of the weatherstrip (the 2 end pieces) should go on the latch side of the deck lid or the opposite side of the latch? Or somewhere else?

If anyone has some pictures that's always helpful.

Thanks!

rvrtrash

I used black adhesive, only because it matched the rubber in case I got careless. It also has just come loose after 3 years. I've never had the yellow adhesive come loose. I put the joint at the front edge of the trunk, in the middle, near the back window. There is a vacumn at the rear of the car that will pull moisture into the trunk if the seam is by the latch and not perfectly sealed.

Steve

franklinair

At the forward edge, or at the trunk latch for the butt joint?? It makes sense to me to have the butt joint @ the trunk latch area. That would be the lowest point for any water/moisture drainage. I don't believe a low pressure point at the rear center of the trunk is much of a factor. These cars spend 99% of their time parked in a dry environment, and I believe gravity would overcome a low pressure point.
If the glue is applied sparingly & accurately, who's gonna know if you used black or yellow glue? (I think black is correct glue, but the yellow is better.)

Neil