• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. Got to meet Midnight Special!!

robert campbell

All,
I made a jet run down to Vancouver Washington to meet Tim (Midnight Special) for a late lunch yesterday. Maiden voyage for the new blower motor on a long trip (3 hours each way). Very hot for Washington standards, 90 degrees. Car was absolutely flawless! 80 miles an hour is about 2,600 RPM and I flew down and back. All the windows down. Think I lost some hearing. Enough about that.

Got to meet Tim. He was working a symposium for “glass blowing” which his company, Litton Industries, is a heavy player. Yep, I am sure you have the same mental picture that I did before arriving. A guy with a long steel tube, blowing into it with a large lump of molten glass on the end… It is a bit more than that…..

His company builds industrial and hobbyist lathes for the manufacture of scientific and artistic glass needs. The lathes are used in the science world of glass construction that is mind boggling. There is a huge demand for all sorts of chemist beakers, test tubes and the sort. But not just run of the mill sizes. Many high tech industries need specifically designed "one off" glass containers. But not just a bottle or a beaker. They need containers with glass tubes inside of glass tubes. Perfectly centered and fused into one unit on the ends. I just barely saw the surface of what they needed. One attendee was representing the department of energy that constructs the fuel rods for nuclear reactors.

This is where Litton comes in. They manufacture the lathes that allow an ultra experienced “glass manufacturing technician” to cut, shape, and join glass. The lathes are two engine, two chuck, precision/purpose lathes for creation and construction of “one off” high tech science needs. They allow attachment of all sorts of oxygen/acetylene burning heads. And these heads are outfitted with an array of plumbing proportioning valve needs to ensure the proper mixture of gases for large and small jobs. They literally weld glass together in the hands of a skilled technician. Tim taught a class on the proper maintenance of the lathes and the fine tuning of their alignment to maintain optimum tolerances.

It was truly fascinating to watch the demonstrations put on. They formed bevels on glass tubes. Fused tubes inside tubes with perfectly centered washers on the ends. Glass as I learned is not a perfect piece of stock and the technician uses flame proof tape as shims to gain perfect “runout” to ensure tolerances are met. I, like most of you, thought machines did this work, but these special glass applications are constructed by these highly skilled craftsman one at a time. I will never look at a piece of glass the same!!

It was fun to watch Tim in this professional setting. He is very reserved and quiet. Fully armed with over 30 years of experience but is tactful and patient with an expert as well as a beginner. His biggest strength was that of a careful listener. That is a huge trait in all aspects of life!! Let the person articulate the question without interruption. In this articulation you may find yourself completely changing how you respond. It was impressive to listen to the conversations of these people. Most very unassuming in dress. Dressing does not make the man!

Tim and I shared a burger at the end of the day. He showed off my car like it was some show queen. A couple of the attendees appreciated old cars. It was great. I drove him up to an old family haunt that has pushed burgers since the 40’s. I never pass the chance to go to the Steakburger in Hazell Dell Washington. Great burgers at fair prices. Tim must have taken 30 or more pictures. Dumb Rob forgot his camera….

We got to chat and learn each others stories on cars and life. I had already made a new friend from a distance, but now cemented in person. The cars we love and own are just a "vehicle" to meet genuine people in life. Tim is one of those people. Warm, friendly, unassuming, and humble. Appreciative of your car and the work you have done. He centers on the positive. That would best describe Tim. A positive person in your hobby and life!

Thanks, Tim, for a great afternoon and for the chance to see a niche in an industry little known in the world to expand my knowledge. I had a great time!!!

Rob

franklinair

Well, how come no photos?
I haven't seen a picture of Tim since they took them down in all the Post Offices:cool:

Neil

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Neil,
Tim took them all and he is running a booth today and fly’s out late on Friday. Hope he will have some time to upload a couple this weekend. He was taking shots of my fat head and three chins as we were driving down the road!!!

What a fun time! He says if I can fly in to Grass Valley one day he may be able to arrange a ride in a P-51!!!! That would be huge, and maybe just watching one would be more my speed. He was explaining the sound of one as it passes you at 500 mph at low pylon racing altitude.... Takes your breath away. Literally!!

Rob

mechanicalguy48

Wow rob , good for you. I can just see your white shark booming along the freeway with a contingent of WSP troopers following ,,,,lol. What a great hobby,,,so many nice people. You need an overdrive for that beast, get you down in decibels if nothing else.

PonyGal

Rob,

I am so glad you finally got to meet the "Tim" that I have had the privilege of knowing for over 16 years! He has been one of my best frinds for quite a while, and I know I can always count on him to "lend and ear" when I really need a friend!!

I spoke to him on the phone last night to let him know about the HUGE thunderstorms that we were experiencing here in Northern California and he mentioned that you had a great time. He promised to post pictures when he gets back into town.

Here are a few pictures of the lightning storm...

Attachments

• lightning 1.JPG
    lightning 1.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 19
  • lightning 2.JPG
    lightning 2.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 16
  • lightning 3.JPG
    lightning 3.JPG
    10.6 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Wow rob , good for you. I can just see your white shark booming along the freeway with a contingent of WSP troopers following ,,,,lol. What a great hobby,,,so many nice people. You need an overdrive for that beast, get you down in decibels if nothing else.

Steve,
It has an AOD. 3.70 gears. I used the Ron Morris performance mounts to get the darn engine back enough to run the blower belt. They are a bit harsher than stock mounts. 4 windows down, lots of engine harmonics, cowl hood letting noise out, and 80 miles an hour make one deaf.

rob

Last edited:

hookedtrout

Awesome that you got to meet Tim, someday soon I'll be knocking on his door as well, might be this fall, the wife is thinking "Spud Harvest" will be the best time to make the trip, they actually close school here for two weeks because not enough kids show up due to the harvest and helping on the farms.

Not sure if it's as dry up North as it seems to be down South but I hope the lightning doesn't start any fires. Neat pictures Renee'.

Cory

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Rob,

I am so glad you finally got to meet the "Tim" that I have had the privilege of knowing for over 16 years! He has been one of my best frinds for quite a while, and I know I can always count on him to "lend and ear" when I really need a friend!!

I spoke to him on the phone last night to let him know about the HUGE thunderstorms that we were experiencing here in Northern California and he mentioned that you had a great time. He promised to post pictures when he gets back into town.

Here are a few pictures of the lightning storm...

Renee,
You have a GREAT friend! But you know that already. Great pics. Just read Cory's post. Hope the fires stay away!!!

Rob

Midnight Special

Rob, Thank you SO much for driving 3-hours (one-way) to Vancouver and for a FANTASTIC afternoon! Not only was I proud to be part of your "Super CS" maiden flight, but exceedingly proud to take my "Cousin Rob" around the convention and show my world what a great family I'm a part of.

As I usually get a little homesick on long trips, the sight of Rob walking across the lot with his wonderful GT/CS in the background made me feel as though I was already home :) A handshake wasn't going to do it for the intro - Bear Hugs did! ...and he is every bit as fun, warm, exciting and thrill to be with as he is generous and accommodating on this site. and his GT/CS!!!! 'Speaks volumes of who he is - perfect combination of a car heavily optioned, yet lovingly and beautifully set apart
with all systems fine tuned and perfected to this amazing individual!

I actually had more fun riding with Rob than I do driving my own! I got to look around and see everyone's admiration while watching Rob's alluring and soothing personality make bystanders feel as proud to be in his presence as I was. And in a land of high-end & fancy restaurants, his choice of "Steakburger" and its 1940's & 50's photos on the wall set the stage for the most wonderful conversations and life stories! But the time there just flew by TOO fast!

Then back to the convention we went where I observed his speedometer jump faster than most tachometers along the way with the only "chirping" occurring between gears. No room to run this beautiful car to anywhere near it's potential, but with the sensation and knowing while peering down that awesome "dual scoop"... there was no need to run her up for the added thrills!

Rob, again Thank You SO much! How nice it would of been if Amy, the Powells, Doug, "mechanicalguy48" and others could of joined us, but the farewell that day was as heavyhearted for me as it was ;-( What a great day!!! See a few pics below....

Renee - those lightning shots are incredible! Yes, my cell was ringing like crazy with reports of lightning (back home) unlike ever seen. We went to a dinner party last night with some airport friends who had an amazing view of the Sierras. I commented on how it must've been to watch the storm from there. The homeowner then took me outside and showed me a 12" hole in his roof where a bolt struck and scattered pieces of heavy tile in a 100' radius and blew out light switches & sockets... Needless to say, their view was a little too exciting!

At any rate - Thanks for being a great family! With the air show now only a month away, I don't have as much time to post and take photos, but rest assured - the GT/CS will be prominently featured at our upcoming event as Renee's beautiful car takes center stage with all the enthusiasm, warmth, passion, welcoming arms and loving dedication displayed like Rob's and so many others here across the country.

...So proud to be so fortunate! So humbling to know more of the people who make the GT/CS the best classic car of them all!

Attachments

• IM002427.jpg
    IM002427.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IM002426.jpg
    IM002426.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IM002424.jpg
    IM002424.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IM002432.jpg
    IM002432.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IM002431.jpg
    IM002431.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IM002417.jpg
    IM002417.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IM002410.jpg
    IM002410.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IM002413.jpg
    IM002413.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 35

Midnight Special

...Here's a few more of the glassworking Rob spoke of. This was the annual American Scientific Glassblower's Society convention held in different parts of the country each year. We make the lathes and accessories to augment engineering and production of specialty glass. It began for us in 1932 with demand for vacuum tubes for early radio & TV...

Attachments

• IM002446.jpg
    IM002446.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IM002477.JPG
    IM002477.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IM002473.JPG
    IM002473.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IM002470.JPG
    IM002470.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IM002469.JPG
    IM002469.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IM002437.jpg
    IM002437.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IM002405.jpg
    IM002405.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IM002403.jpg
    IM002403.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Tim,
Fantastic pictures!! Thanks for the kind words! That glass sculpture is awesome! That must have taken weeks to build!

Wonder if anyone notices my "anti vibration" rubber bands on the rear view mirror? Lots of vibration form my high performance motor mounts....

I love the picture in front of the "Steakburger". So many memories and believe it or not, my first picture of it!

Don't work to hard on the air show. Like that is not going to happen!! You invest fully in all you do!!! Especially your friends!

Rob

hookedtrout

So funny that you question if anyone noticed the rubber bands, I was just going to ask if you blew the rear view mirror off on the way down and had to use rubber bands to hold it on.

Cory

Tim,
Fantastic pictures!! Thanks for the kind words! That glass sculpture is awesome! That must have taken weeks to build!

Wonder if anyone notices my "anti vibration" rubber bands on the rear view mirror? Lots of vibration form my high performance motor mounts....

I love the picture in front of the "Steakburger". So many memories and believe it or not, my first picture of it!

Don't work to hard on the air show. Like that is not going to happen!! You invest fully in all you do!!! Especially your friends!

Rob

PonyGal

Rob,

I was wondering what that was on your rear view mirror :confused:

Tim, Great pictures! Looks like you two had a lot of fun. Wish I could have been there. I guess I'll just have to wait to meet Rob.

PonyGal

...my cell was ringing like crazy with reports of lightning (back home) unlike ever seen. We went to a dinner party last night with some airport friends who had an amazing view of the Sierras. I commented on how it must've been to watch the storm from there. The homeowner then took me outside and showed me a 12" hole in his roof where a bolt struck and scattered pieces of heavy tile in a 100' radius and blew out light switches & sockets... Needless to say, their view was a little too exciting.

Tim, I hope nobody was hurt in that lighting strike! I saw on the news that over 2000 lightning strikes occured in the region. It was spectacular indeed!!

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Tim,
And a tug picture..... Tim knows I manage the Navy tugs in the Seattle area..... Just to remind me of "my" work...

Rob

nates68

Hey rob, the shelby console looks great,also the dash, i love mine better than stock dont you ?. I told you the leds were easy to hook up.............

Best nates68

Midnight Special

Rob,
I was wondering what that was on your rear view mirror :confused:

Tim,
I hope nobody was hurt in that lighting strike! I saw on the news that over 2000 lightning strikes occured in the region. It was spectacular indeed!!

...Here's some more detail of Rob's "mirror stabilizer" which would seem to work best on the early "stem" type vs the later glue-on brackets... I didn't notice it right away with admiring his overhead console, Shelby lower console, convenience group package, rear defogger and all the other options of this car. There was lots to behold!

Renee - I only heard of one injury and one fatality with the lightning so far. A woman in Portola is in critical condition after stepping outside and opening her umbrella and TJ told me of a local rancher whose cow became "Steakburger"...

Attachments

• IM002430.jpg
    IM002430.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IM002433.jpg
    IM002433.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IM002435.jpg
    IM002435.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Hey rob, the shelby console looks great,also the dash, i love mine better than stock dont you ?. I told you the leds were easy to hook up.............

Best nates68

Nate,
I do like it more because if matches the dash and I wanted the extra gauges! The LED's are great!! Brighter and less draw on the turn signal switch! A win win!!

Tim,
Should I patent my rear view mirror stabilizer? Hate to lose out on all those royalties!!!

Rob

nates68

Rob, also you could add a piller gauge (2more gauges). Thats what i had to do.

Nate.