• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 tire clearance 225 70 R14

calspcl

Has anyone run a BF goodrich with the subject tire size on factory style steel wheels and had any clearance porblems?

franklinair

I used 215X70X14 BFG on my Argent S/S wheels. Nice fit, good stance.

Neil

robert campbell

I currently have that exact sized tire in a Firestone Firehawk on painted style steels. Fits great, no issues, and my car is lowered. I have 215 70R 14 inch Firehawks on the front. I have experienced a bit of a rub going around a corner and hitting a bump at the same time. Not major, and it is because my car is lowered.

I hope to have my 15 inch Cragar S/S wheels with special ordered backspace on by this weekend. I am going to run a 235 60R 15 BFG Drag Radials on the back and a BFG 205 60R 15 on the front. Mr rear, 8 inch wide rims, have 5 and 1/4 backspace. I could run a 255 50R 15 drag radial, but no one makes them in a 15 inch wheel. A 275 50R 15 is the right diameter, but I feel it will rub.

My front, 7 inch wide rims have 4 and 1/4 backspace and are virtually the same backspace as a style steel wheel which are 6 and 1/2 inches wide. The 205 60R 15 for the front is a bit smaller in diameter to the 215 70R 14 I am currently running. Hope this will make the front rub go away!

I hate tires that rub!!!!!! I will not put up with that, nor will I raise my car to clear a tire!!!

Rob

Last edited:

hcsstang

On my 65 convertible I put P215/60R16 on. If I remember right the rims are from a 03 mustang 6 banger. They are regular Ford products. .

OP
OP
calspcl

calspcl

Rob, your 215's rub on factory GT wheels? How much did you lower your car?

I may go with a 215 as I am going with the one inch lowering springs...

robert campbell

Rob, your 215's rub on factory GT wheels? How much did you lower your car?

I may go with a 215 as I am going with the one inch lowering springs...

Front tires rub only when I hit a large bump when turning a tight corner.

Using a tape measure from the ground the center of my front fender lip is 25 inches. The center of the back fender lip is 26 inches from the ground.

That is the best way to describe the stance of a car. I would estimate that my car is lowered nearly 2 inches from stock heigth. But what is stock?

Rob

retroman99

i have a problem with 22560R14 fitting on the front with 7 inch wide steel style wheels. the tire is hitting the upper control arm. does anybody have expereince using the 205 70 R 14 with 7 inch rims? Bought the wheel tire set from CJ pony parts and had them in garage for several months before i tried them and was bummed when they interferred CJ will not take them back so im stuck trying to make these rims work. and selling the 60 series tires but before i drop more cash i want to make sure the 205 70 R 14's will work.

Mosesatm

That's a fairly common problem with 7" wheels because they usually have 4.25" backspacing but the stock 6" wheels are only 4". That 1/4" makes a big difference.

If you have enough room between the tires and the fender wells you may be able to install 1/4" spacers behind the wheels to push them away from the upper ball joints.

If you go with the 205s you shouldn't have any problems.

retroman99

Very good wish i had asked you guys first. i really wanted a wider tire than 205's if i go with the spacer i will need longer lug bolts. the old tire the PO had on the car did rub the fenders i vnever looked at what back spacing they were but the tires were the same 225/60's. im going to go with the 205's they appear to be about .8 inches narrower which is all i need

RU_SPCL2

Has anyone run a BF goodrich with the subject tire size on factory style steel wheels and had any clearance porblems?

Got BFG 225/70-14s on original styled-steel wheels (with factory discs). No clearance issues. That said, you could run into a speedometer error that cannot be corrected with just a gear change - ask me how I know! If only Ford made a 15-tooth gear, these tires would be perfect in every way. I'm not willing to invest the money for the reduction box to correct it since it costs almost as much as the tires. Next time, I will go with 215s or 205s, since these are just enough smaller to bring the speedo dead on with a 16-tooth gear. (Caveat: this is correct for a C4 with 2.79 rear. Be sure to do the math for your specific configuration before picking the tire size if you care about speedo accuracy.)