• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1973 Mach 1 for sale

rvrtrash

I'm going to sell the '73 Q code Mach 1 I just finished restoring. It was originally going to go to my youngest son, but he's buying a house and needs help with the down payment more than he needs the car. Briefly, it's a 351 Cobra Jet, C6 automatic, air, tilt, spoilers, fold down rear seat, and a few other nice options. If any one know someone that might be interested, please send them my way, and I can give more details. I'm asking $24K. Thanks.

Steve

Attachments

• mach1pic.jpg
    mach1pic.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 44

Mosesatm

Steve,
For those of us who are not familiar with '73 Mustangs, what is a 351 Cobra Jet?

OP
OP
rvrtrash

rvrtrash

The most "obvious" differences is it's a 351 Cleveland that has 4 bolt main caps and a spread bore 4 barrel carb and intake. For whatever reason, Ford elected to use open chamber heads and lower compression than other 4 barrel Clevelands, even those with 2 bolt mains. Personally, I believe it was to make the engine more "streetable", as the closed chamber, high compression, square bore carb engines didn't really start to come alive until they were hitting 3,000 rpm, and were pretty sensitive to octane rating. I built this one with 9.3:1 KB pistons and a Comp Cams 268H cam, so you can still run mid grade gas but it sounds like it's got a lot more going for it.

Steve

J.Bart

the 351 CJ was also the highest horsepower engine fo 1972-73 at 248 hp.
although it was the little fish/big pond scenario.
the 4v clevelands also had 2.19 dia. intake valves and 1.73 on the exhaust.
the 429 in 72 was de-tuned to less than 200 hp.

OP
OP
rvrtrash

rvrtrash

Actually that number was for everything (Torino's etc.) except the Mustang, where it was rated at 266. Still pretty anemic. With the changes I made, I would guess that it's up to about 300hp, although I haven't dyno'd it yet, so am hesitant to claim anything.

Steve

J.Bart

but clevelands have the advantage a better torque curve, resulting in more power over other smallblocks.
interesting on the mustang hp, i haven't seen that difference listed, but alot of my books are on the torinos