• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 289-2V - front crankshaft seal vs timing cover seal?

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I'm rebuilding my 1968 289 and the Felpro gasket set I got (#260-1125T) comes with 2 seals for the crank. I believe I use one or the other, but not both. Unless I'm totally missing where one of the seals goes.

Is there a difference between "front crankshaft seal" and "timing cover seal"? Or is that 2 names for the same seal?

The original seal (Ford part number) that I took out of my timing cover is the style without the lip, matching the seal shown on the left in the photo below. So I assume I don't use the lipped seal on the right side.

2024-01-28 12.42.16.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
admin

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Thanks Rob! That's what I thought, but I'd rather ask now than end up with a pool of oil on the floor when I prime the engine.

The larger lipped seal looks so familiar, which is part of why I was questioning myself. But now that you mention that it's for later models I realized it's probably familiar as the seal I've replaced on my '72 Bronco 302.