• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 68 GT with drum brakes?

gt/csj4

Hey all,

Quick question, there is a fella on ebay selling a 68' rag-top "GT" with drum brakes... manual drums to boot. He states that the "marti report he has" says it's the only GT ordered in 68 where the original owner opted for drum brakes as a downgrade..... um this seems ludicrous, as disk brakes were standard on GT's... why would you want manual drums instead?

My question, is there any proof of this? And if so, is it really that uncommon? What I find weird is he doesnt even state that the car has drums in his listing, it was when I was looking at the pics I saw the backs of drums....not dust shields, so I asked him and his response was "Dear jtot8126, Kevin Marti says its a 1 of 1 GT that did have drum brakes in the front. The only thing it does not have that it did from the factory is a console and the drivers side remote mirror.... yet he doesnt post a pic of the report? I dont like to ever call B.S but something seems wrong here. A clean J code 4 speed rag top in good condition is worth 20+ but you throw a GT package on it of course it would be worth more, so I am trying to see if it even happened cause that would be fraud on his part. Need your help :confused:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...ars_Trucks&hash=item3a7cbe0b64#ht_1288wt_1167

Heres the link, the car doesn't even have fog lights, and once you read his post on how "amazing the car is" then look at all the major wrong things with it, I have several red flags.

DeadStang

Hey all,

Quick question, there is a fella on ebay selling a 68' rag-top "GT" with drum brakes... manual drums to boot. He states that the "marti report he has" says it's the only GT ordered in 68 where the original owner opted for drum brakes as a downgrade..... um this seems ludicrous, as disk brakes were standard on GT's... why would you want manual drums instead?

My question, is there any proof of this? And if so, is it really that uncommon? What I find weird is he doesnt even state that the car has drums in his listing, it was when I was looking at the pics I saw the backs of drums....not dust shields, so I asked him and his response was "Dear jtot8126, Kevin Marti says its a 1 of 1 GT that did have drum brakes in the front. The only thing it does not have that it did from the factory is a console and the drivers side remote mirror.... yet he doesnt post a pic of the report? I dont like to ever call B.S but something seems wrong here. A clean J code 4 speed rag top in good condition is worth 20+ but you throw a GT package on it of course it would be worth more, so I am trying to see if it even happened cause that would be fraud on his part. Need your help :confused:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...ars_Trucks&hash=item3a7cbe0b64#ht_1288wt_1167

Heres the link, the car doesn't even have fog lights, and once you read his post on how "amazing the car is" then look at all the major wrong things with it, I have several red flags.

My GT has manual drums.

OP
OP
G

gt/csj4

My GT has manual drums.

Really? I had no idea, it just seemed a little weird that he didnt mention it in his listing is all, I dont like to call anyone liars thats why I'm asking. Learn something new everyday

Only reason why I was wondering was from what I have learned, 67, disk brakes were an option for the gt/gta packages but 68's disks were standard ?

Last edited:

Ruppstang

I am going by memory but it seams that all 67 gt's had dics. In 68 they were optonal on small blocks but mandatory on big blocks. When I have time I'll check to be sure but I think that is the way it was. Marty

DeadStang

I am going by memory but it seams that all 67 gt's had dics. In 68 they were optonal on small blocks but mandatory on big blocks. When I have time I'll check to be sure but I think that is the way it was. Marty

No, my CS is a 390 car and has 4 manual drums. It's a GT on the Marti report.

dalorzo_f

"but 68's disks were standard equipment...."

Nope.

+1 on GT did not include discs in '68. My S code coupe, non CS, both GT and discs on the Marti... separate options that year.

Most of what I have seen indicated discs were standard with the GT option in '67 and '69, but as a '68 owner never looked too far into it...

Last edited:

di81977

Not really relevant to this discussion, but I have drum brakes on my 1964 Corvette. They became available in 65. My understanding is that early on, people were a little hesitant to order disc brakes. Somewhat new technology and more expensive to repair/replace. Also for the drag racers, they were heavier. I'd guess most of these issues were addressed by 1968. I think one of the more significant improvements at the time was the dual reservoir.

CougarCJ

For 1968, this probably was a Mustang GT thing.

With the Mercury Cougar in 1968, the only engines available with the GT option was the 390 or 428CJ, both had disc brakes as part of the option package.
Cougars were standard with front drum brakes, merely adding the 390 engine did not automatically get disc brakes unless the option box for disc brakes or the GT package was checked. Non-GT 390 Cougars were normally badged as "6.5 Litre", on the fenders.

OP
OP
G

gt/csj4

Man, drums on a 390...The power isnt the rush, its hoping you can stop haha. Well i appreciate the responses as i learn new things about these cars everyday. I mearly asked because the car is missing noticeable attributes, that are key to GTs so thats why i wanted to ask you guys first about the drums.

Cheers

Ruppstang

I still can not find the Ford information I was looking for but this is what I have found so far. In the 1968 Mustang sales brochure on page 14 under GT equiptment it states-Power frount disc brakes, required at extra cost with 390 & 427- cu. engines.
Additional information and revisions 12-12 67 390 cu. 4V V8 Engine option now avaible only with GT Equiptment Group.
Marti by the numbers states that of all Mustang models 41,501 were produced with power disc brakes.
Marty

dalorzo_f

My '68 S code convertible was a BOSE w/C6, power top, glass window, AM. And drums all around. Not a GT

Have heard some ordered big blocks for drag racing w/drums to drop the exra weight...

teamlo

The "1 of 1" thing on Marti Reports still kills me. Mustangs were available with so many options that nearly every Mustang is 1 of 1, if you go about it the way the Marti Report does.

Seller is very optimistic on the price, IMHO.

Russ

My very first Mustang was a 1968 GT, J Code, 4 speed car. It was ordered from Babbitt Ford in Flagstaff, AZ and came with non-power drum brakes all around.
Hope this helps, Russ

6t8-390gt

In 1968 disc brakes were an option on the J-code GT's, it was a mandatory option on the 390 and 428 GT's. The early S-code 390's without the GT option received drum brakes unless the disc brake option was selected.

I'm not sure about the mid-year X-codes with the GT option. As Marty said, around Feb. 68 all S-codes required the GT package and disc brakes. All the S-code non-GT's that I've ever seen have had the recessed rear reflectors. The only 428 CJ's without disc brakes were the December 1967 "135" series Mustangs built for racing. All regular production Cobra Jet Mustangs were GT's with disc brakes.

I hope this helps.

Danny