• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

a 2008 Hybrid GT/CS?

P

PNewitt

To some of you, the sound of that is so "wrong", but with gas approaching $5 a gallon and up, it's an idea worth considering...

Here is my idea. Take a 2005-2008 Mustang (doesn't have to be a GT/CS), and gut the drivetrain, and replace it with the "guts" from a Ford Escape Hybrid.

The physical installation of the engine and transmission would work, but the headache would be the (generator) wheel assemblies, and the battery, and all the wiring--including making a custom dash to handle the displays.

But--it could be done. Anyone who makes the first one would be famous, and it would spark Ford into considering it....

Something to think about. Any resident experts here in Ford hybrid techno that could walk us through such an idea??

Besides...who says we'd have to stay with the Escape electric motor?? In a true Mustanger spirit...just get a BIGGER motor!! If Tesla Motors can do it, so can we.

Paul N.

...then we make a '68 Mustang Hybrid...

Perkchiro

I just watched a TV show last night that featured the Tesla. They also showed an experimental Cobra with a 300 hp all electric engine with 1000 ft lbs of torque. They were burning the tires off of it and it did 0 to 60 in 3.9 secs. Forget the Escape engine. At $109,000 for the Tesla, forget that too. But, what this all tells me is that the technology is there and is bound to get cheaper as time goes on. I wouldn't mind plugging in my electric Cobra or Mustang overnight for some burnouts the next morning!!

Doug

It’s about time that we in America did something like this. I own a Prius (46MPG avg) and just ordered a Camry Hybrid (I am told by current owners 34+ MPG avg) - the reason is what I’ am paying just for gas in my Landcruiser will all but pay for the Camry; and that’s figuring gas at $4.29 per gal. It is now $4.59, I have seen $4.79. BTW I understand that the Camry is built in the US. I still would rather buy a Ford or GM but look at the choices.

stang68cs

I remember reading an article in Car and Driver earlier in the year about a German company that transplanted a diesel engine in the Mustang. I can't remember the performance techie side, hp, mpg, etc--but it seemed to be worth the money. Isn't there a guy in Cali---Crane Engineering that develops diesel engines?

tworings

New kits can turn your car into a hybrid

Interesting article about this subject:

New kits can turn your car into a hybrid
Even Toyota Prius owners are cringing at today's gas prices. Now new conversion kits offer the potential for 100 miles per gallon and more.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25104169/from/ET/