• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

A 67 and a 69 GT/CS???

my68cs

I was talking to a guy who restores classic Fords today and he said Ford made a 67CS and a 69CS. He said the reason why not that many people know about them is because Ford made the 1968 model special for that year, therefore more people know about the 68 model. He even said Ford only made 1,800 of the CSs in 1969. He never said how many they made in 1967. I don't know if it's true or not but he was pretty sure Ford made them. Here's a tough one for all you guys. :confused:

RedGTvert

I was talking to a guy who restores classic Fords today and he said Ford made a 67CS and a 69CS. He said the reason why not that many people know about them is because Ford made the 1968 model special for that year, therefore more people know about the 68 model. He even said Ford only made 1,800 of the CSs in 1969. He never said how many they made in 1967. I don't know if it's true or not but he was pretty sure Ford made them. Here's a tough one for all you guys. :confused:

Next time you see this expert, tell him he is full of ####.

Mosesatm

Ask him to provide a picture.

Maybe he's thinking of the '66 and '67 HCS.

Midnight Special

Indeed, I'm sure we could do a long thread on such stories. That's what I love about pulling into most gas stations. Those who are full of themselves - I just let 'em go. Those truly interested - I engage. I've also learned of more GT/CSs in the area as result. 'Turns out that the brother of one of the P-51 pilots I saw this weekend also has a 390 4-spd GT/CS. I will be e-mailing him photos & setting dialog soon.

P

PNewitt

You can't really fault people with what they tell you. After all, they wouldn't say those things if they weren't instantly impressed with seeing YOUR GT/CS.

It can get a little out of hand, but geesch!... I'd like to see where this person got the 1,800 number for '69. THAT would be interesting.

As a comparison, would you personally know how many Yenko Camaros they made and what years? Or those Chrysler 300 Limited Editions with the wing (I saw one once at a 7-11 in San Diego). Hurst/Olds production and in what colors? It's all relevant.

As car guys (and gals) we like to get the gift of gab, and the sight of something unique will always stir conversation.

There were no '67 or '69 GT/CS cars made, just to set the record straight. But, when you hear these things, just take them as "backhanded compliments", and let them talk, and then politely tell them the GT/CS history....

Paul N.

OP
OP
M

my68cs

First of all, he said he is on this website but I couldn't find him. I'm not positive but I don't think he has seen my car. I thought he was talking about the HCSs too but I asked him about that and he said it wasn't the HCS. He said he got the information off of www.ford-archives.com but I couldn't find anything. I could be mistaken on some of this stuff but I know for sure he said Ford made a 67 and a 69 GT/CS. He was also saying Ford only put a 4V carb in all the cars but all my numbers say a 2V carb for my car. So I dont know. You guys are the experts.

Mosesatm

There were 1869 Shelby GT500s built in '69 & '70. That's the closest I can get to any 1800 figure for anything in '69.

The Shelby de Mexico was built in '67 and '69 and the '69 has GT/CS tail lights.

http://www.darkhorseracing.net/south_of_the_boarder.htm

The Shelby de Mexico models of 1967 and 1968 were powered by 289ci engines and looked nearly identical to their 1967 and 1968 stateside namesakes. Production totaled 169 units in 1967 and 203 units in 1968.

The 306 Shelbys produced in 1969 were based on 302hp powered Mustang hardtops, but had fiberglass roofline extensions that created a Fastback look. Their front sheetmetal was near-stock Mustang, but the slightly bulged hoods were fiberglass, their deck lids had spoilers, and the taillights were the 1965 Thunderbird units used by US production 1968 and 1969 Shelbys. Several of the 1969 Shelby de Mexico GT-350s have been brought into the United States during recent years, and two have been featured in Mustang Monthly and other enthusiast magazines.

Last edited:
P

PNewitt

There were 1869 Shelby GT500s built in '69 & '70. That's the closest I can get to any 1800 figure for anything in '69.

Yep, I bet that was it, Arlie. How sharp of you to think of that!

This kind of "Mistaken-Shelby-Identity" is common, and, oh well, we'll just have to deal with it ..."somehow".

Paul.

John McGilvary

Back in the day I was told that Ford never produced a California Special Mustang, and some dealer put a few Shelby parts on a 68 Mustang to get more money out of it. Only a few people in my part of the country had ever seen or heard of a CS. In fact I had never heard of or seen a CS until I bought mine.

Maybe you can "clone" a CS out of a 67, but a 69, I don't think so.

John

P

PNewitt

At a burger joint car show in San Diego (actually Santee), back in about 1981, I saw a guy's 1969 custom Cal Special. He used a white '69 coupe, and added the '69 Shelby convertible rear decklid, taillights, etc...even the center exhausts. Pretty neat. It had a black vinyl, top, too. He even put the "California Special" script on the rear.

Paul N.

P

PNewitt

I guess that maybe it's the level of confidence from the "expert" that can be annoying.

It can be especially obnoxious when you encounter someone that thinks they know more than you do about your own GT/CS (or HCS)--with you standing there next to it... I find that kinda insulting....I mean this as a few steps of commentary beyond people just "gearhead jabbering'.

What they don't know is that we're probably the best informed group of Mustangers when it comes to our own car's heritage & history.

Paul.

Jason--I saw your Trek site. Interesting. I made a prop for Enterprise:
http://members.aol.com/IDICPage3/nomad.html

Midnight Special

...I don't think this thread is so much about anyone knowing more about CSs than I (we) do. Lord knows any education is welcome provided it's not "heady". I'll be the first to say I know nothing 'cept how to drive & enjoy one. (thankfully ;-) It then relaxes them to freely tell you what they do (Think) they know whereby you can decide if the conversation is worthwhile.

I do laugh inside on occasion at some of the "experts" however. Especially when they don't let you get a word in edgewise, and you start to feel like you're "peeing on the same fire hydrant"... There is no communication in those situations and you're best to just let 'em go.

For the most part - Intrigue and Admiration are the order of the day whenever we're "coralled". ...And I try to give it back whenever I can.
A kid approached me w/ a ratty looking project of a '67 that he was SO proud of. He parked along side me (at Starbucks) for his own photo op. Remembering my own teenage pride of my first (equally ratty) '66 - I couldn't help but to embrace this kid & make him feel as tho he was a real star for his passion and enthusiasm! (plus, there were no fire hydrants;-)

I believe the best way to further our cause is to be as a courteous "ambassador"; to not dump everything you know unsolicited to someone who is otherwise just out to enjoy the day. These cars draw attention - no question. How we greet admirers or "experts" will determine how we are ultimately loved, cars notwithstanding. Perhaps our best example is to be humble and helpful - and above all; remember where we came from be it owners, restorers or just plain enthusiasts.

Last edited: