• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1966-67 HCS air cleaner snout

66hcs-conv

Hi all,

Here are a couple of pics of the air cleaner "snout" (probably not the correct name) from the air cleaner on the '66, 289.

How is the temp sensor (pic 2) supposed to work? Does it push or pull the flapper inside the snout when it is getting hot air OR getting cold air? I've put the thing in the warm sun, and in the freezer and the flapper thing doesn't move.

Help please - thanks. Dave

Attachments

• mustangair 001.jpg
    mustangair 001.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 24
  • mustangair 002.jpg
    mustangair 002.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 27

dalorzo_f

Initially the flap should block the main inlet allowing warm air up from the manifold. As the bulb warms a wax filling melts and expands, it forces the arm out and lowers the flap allowng cool air in the amin inlt, bypassing the riser.

A minute or two with a propane torch from a ways back to warm the inlet will activate the bulb, and move the flap if it works. Check to be sure its is not binding before testing with heat.

OP
OP
66hcs-conv

66hcs-conv

I put the snout in the freezer over nite. This AM I quickly adjusted the flap so that it would be blocking the "outside" air and pulling air from the exhaust manifold. I let it sit outside in the warm sun all morning, and the flap has not moved.

So it looks like I need a new bulb/adjuster screw device.

Anybody know what the bulb/adjuster is called & where I can get one?

Thanks, Dave

dalorzo_f

You need to get it hotter than ambient to move the flap. It will stay shut at below 100F....

Fire up a propane torch and wave it around about a foot from the end of the snorkel for a minute or three... that should show if it works or not... I have tested many, and have never found one that was bad...

OP
OP
66hcs-conv

66hcs-conv

dalorzo_f

It works! . . . . sorta

When I heat it up with a small propane torch, the flap will pull down to the
"fresh air" position. BUT, the darn thing will not return to the "heat" position.

How do I adjust this thing?

THANKS, Dave

csgt428

Check for binding of the flapper. You need to let it cool off sufficiently as well....it doesn't happen instantly! The fact that it opens means it's more than likely working properly since it has overcome spring pressure to open in the first place.

OP
OP
66hcs-conv

66hcs-conv

I heated it, flapper pulled down, and then put the snout in the freezer for about 3 hours. The flapper is not returning to the up, or heat position.

Probably needs to be adjusted.

How do I adjust it?

THANKS, Dave

csgt428

I'm not aware of any possible "adjusting". If it's not returning check for binding......and that the spring is still attached to the flapper.

OP
OP
66hcs-conv

66hcs-conv

The little brass "knob" or "button" shown in pic #2 can be turned, and will somewhat adjust the flapper.

I squirted some silicone spray where the flapper rides in the metal grove and freed it up. Did a little adjusting, and got it to where the flapper will allow warm air from the exhaust manifold at around 32 degrees (had it in the refrigerator) and with a little heat from the propane torch, it will close and block the warm air.

I am good to go.

Thanks for your help. This forum is awesome!:smile:

Have fun, Dave

dalorzo_f

The adjustment is to get it in the "cold" postion, then as noted you can turn the knob, tricky to get to, and set the flap so it just closes the opening.

Test with heat/cool, it should be fine, but sometimes you need to "overadjust" the flap and have it move a bit more to closed overcompensate to the closed positon to get it back to the "cold" position after heating...