• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Another CS surfaces in Oregon

DeadStang

Traded a couple of my cars for a "California Special" yesterday w/o a Marti report or any documentation for the vehicle. It has an original trunk lid and probably original fender extensions, but there are screws holding in the grills on the side scoops that look wrong. Plus, the car is missing the original hood and hood locks, and has had an interior color change from Nugget Gold to black. Also, the rear side marker light holes have bend welded closed--very weird, but it has not been quartered that I can see, and the original paint is in the trunk. The dude I traded wasn't shady, but we'll just leave it at saying that I didn't feel confident that he really knew that the car was a "real" CS, so I had serious doubts about its authenticity...

Did a quickie Marti report today, tho, and it IS a real CS, although a very low optioned one. Car was Wimbledon White, but is a brighter white now--one repaint of driver quality 12 years ago--with a dark blue stripe. The Mustang appears to be rust-free with a solid cowl. It has PS but 4-wheel manual drums. Came with white sidewall tires, wheel covers, a C-4, and an AM radio. I'll post the mini-Marti report when "technical assistance" arrives home from work this evening, but that's pretty much it.

Attachments

• cs2.jpg
    cs2.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 61

Mustanger

Congrats to you, DeadStang!! You are very fortunate that Mr. Marti gives his nod of approval ... now the fun starts!!! ...

P

PNewitt

Congrats on your find!

What is the DSO? If it's 72, it could be part of the CS cars sold in southern Oregon (Medford, Grants Pass, etc.). DSO 72 went as high as mid-Ore, and the went-central part of Nevada (Reno).

The hood is interesting, too. The original type twist hood locks would look cool on there, too.

Please register this car if you can with me.

Paul N.

John McGilvary

Cool Find!

Congrats on the CS. Its like a breath of fresh air to hear that you found a
real CS with some non-CS parts. I am so sick of seeing Mustangs with CS
parts on them, claiming to be true CS's.

You made my day!
John

J_Speegle

On a similar thread looking through some old notes of mine ( a list of cars I owned at some point) it appears that I owned another Calif Special 8R01C154753

Guess it got lost in the load of cars that have passed through my hands.

OP
OP
D

DeadStang

Congrats on your find!

What is the DSO? If it's 72, it could be part of the CS cars sold in southern Oregon (Medford, Grants Pass, etc.). DSO 72 went as high as mid-Ore, and the went-central part of Nevada (Reno).

The hood is interesting, too. The original type twist hood locks would look cool on there, too.

Please register this car if you can with me.

Paul N.

I am undecided on the hood. It's obviously an aftermaket fiberglass Shelby style hood (1967?), but it's in good shape--just lacks the lite weight springs you use with these things and has a prop rod. I will keep my eye out for an original hood to collect for the car, but maybe I will just put the twist hood locks on this one for the time being. Not to be a traitor to the cause, but do they repro the hood locks? Are they the same as used for a '70 Mach? I don't know a lot about CS/GTs and what's available.

The DSO is 72, but on the mini report, it doesn't list where the car was sold. I figured if the car was sold in Oregon, it would have a 74 DSO? I upgraded to the deluxe report once I determined the car was real, so I'll have more info in a few weeks.

The car is:

8R01C150465
65A M 2Y 13C 72 2 W

Currently has 3.50s in the rear end and allegedly the original block and tranny.

rvrtrash

Personal preference only, but I always liked the '68 Shelby style hood more than the '67. Since you're in Oregon, are you going to the Portland Swap meet in a few weeks?

Steve

OP
OP
D

DeadStang

Congrats...DeadStang

You are whole again....

LOL! Except the original "DeadStang" was my 1st CS/GT that is still dead to this day (but no longer on my watch at least). :-( Now I'm on the 2nd DeadStang--a '69 Grande 351W that's triple-tarped out back. Luckily, the neighbors are mellow.

I also really like the '68 Shelby front end look--it's definitely my favorite of all Shelby front ends. Always wanted to add the '68 hood, valance, and such to my old CS, but it was not cheap to do and impractical for the car at the time.

Yeah, I'll be at the Portland Swap and PIR; I'm counting down the days! Usually don't buy anything, but it's fun, anyway, and you never know what you'll find.

rvrtrash

Anyone else going to the swap meet? We should all meet up somewhere and say Hi!

Steve

OP
OP
D

DeadStang

Welcome to the site! Where in Oregon are you? I'm in Ontario. Right on the border of Idaho.

I'm on the west side, between Lebanon and Albany--in the armpit of the Willamette Valley. We drive thru Ontario several times each year on the way to visit the in-laws in McCall. I love the onions you guys grow around there, they are fantastic!

Diesel Donna

I'm on the west side, between Lebanon and Albany--in the armpit of the Willamette Valley. We drive thru Ontario several times each year on the way to visit the in-laws in McCall. I love the onions you guys grow around there, they are fantastic!

1. I like the hood a lot

2. Ahhhhh, my favorite mom and pop truck stop...Brownsville/Halsey, OR.

3. Are they those wonderful Vidalia onions??? YUM! Used to buy 'em by the monster bagfull up there!

~~~~Donna

calspcl

I will be heading down to the Portland swap meet on Saturday. Maybe we could exchange cell numbers and figure out a meeting time and place...

DeadStang, maybe we could strike up a trade for a factory hood? : )