• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. Anyone built a high revving 351 stroker?

davidathans

I'm in the process of designing my next motor, but i would like some advice....

I want to go with a Dart Iron Eagle 9.5" deck height block.

Due to limitations in the size of the wheel wells of my 68 mustang i can only run a 26" tire and i have a 3.70 gear ratio in it. Therefore i want to build my next engine to spin to 8000rpm so i can turn approx 148mph in the quartermile.

I'm planning to go with a 4.125" bore and put in the 4340 ProComp Scat 4.00" crank with 4340 6.25" h beam rods with ARP 2000 hardware and custom JE dished pistons. This will be a 427.64ci displacement with a rod/stroke ratio (6.25/4.00) of 1.5625.

For transmission, i'm planning on a powerglide with a transbrake valve body and an 8" torque converter.

Here are my concerns:

I've been looking at Lunati solid roller cams, but for cams that make horsepower between 4000-8300rpm, they recommend 4.56 or 4.88 gears and i have a 3.70 gear in it.

Do you think i'll be able to run a cam that makes its peak horsepower above 8000rpm with my current 3.70 gear ratio?

Can someone please recommend cylinder heads/intake manifold/carburetor combination that will flow enough cfm for a 427 stroker spinning to 8000rpm figuring close to 0.700" lift ( i realize i'm going to spend a lot of money on the top end to allow this motor to breathe, going to need Jesel shaft rockers).

It would be wonderful to hear direct from someone who has built one of these bad dude motors.

Thanks!

di81977

I have a buddy who has a 64 fairlane with a 289 block running mid 11's (at over 5,000 feet above sea level). He is a certified ford mechanic, teaches auto shop at a local college, builds engines and loves to race. I will PM you his email. Feel free to contact him, he might have some good ideas for you.

I have also heard lots of good things about Cam Research. They focus only on cams for Ford Engines. Could be another good resource. http://www.camresearchcorp.com/

good luck
David

robert campbell

I'm in the process of designing my next motor, but i would like some advice....

I want to go with a Dart Iron Eagle 9.5" deck height block.

Due to limitations in the size of the wheel wells of my 68 mustang i can only run a 26" tire and i have a 3.70 gear ratio in it. Therefore i want to build my next engine to spin to 8000rpm so i can turn approx 148mph in the quartermile.

I'm planning to go with a 4.125" bore and put in the 4340 ProComp Scat 4.00" crank with 4340 6.25" h beam rods with ARP 2000 hardware and custom JE dished pistons. This will be a 427.64ci displacement with a rod/stroke ratio (6.25/4.00) of 1.5625.

For transmission, i'm planning on a powerglide with a transbrake valve body and an 8" torque converter.

Here are my concerns:

I've been looking at Lunati solid roller cams, but for cams that make horsepower between 4000-8300rpm, they recommend 4.56 or 4.88 gears and i have a 3.70 gear in it.

Do you think i'll be able to run a cam that makes its peak horsepower above 8000rpm with my current 3.70 gear ratio?

Can someone please recommend cylinder heads/intake manifold/carburetor combination that will flow enough cfm for a 427 stroker spinning to 8000rpm figuring close to 0.700" lift ( i realize i'm going to spend a lot of money on the top end to allow this motor to breathe, going to need Jesel shaft rockers).

It would be wonderful to hear direct from someone who has built one of these bad dude motors.

Thanks!

David,
You are beyond my knowledge, but not beyond Stan Johnson of Ford Powertrain Applications! I have e-mailed him. I will post what he says!

Rob

obwan93001

David, that is gonna be some fricken motor mang! I would love to see it someday, I still remember seeing your CS at the 40th at GAS, nasty, downright nasty in a good way! Let us know when you go to the track and if I'm available I'll check you out, I live in Ventura but moving back to Moorpark very soon so like totally not too far from the Valley.

Best of luck w/the new beasty bro!

Oscar