• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 anyone installed an electric antenna in their Stang?

dalorzo_f

Have a automatic extending Hirschman in the EXPs rear 1/4 and need to connect it. The "universal" instructions show a picture of a radio with the two wires from the antenna plugging into it... not likely with an OEM AM.

In order to energize the antenna I am thinking I just need to put it in series in the feed to the AM. Wire between the blue/red connectors with a jumper and then wire the antenna in between the two yellow/black (I think this is the power feed...???).

Won't be cutting the harness have new plugs coming from NPD to splice in... I hate cut wires....!!!

Anyone done this or can confirm the plan above will not blow up my car? (mechanical engineer, not a sparky!):wink:

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

In further looking it appears I need a 12V hot (I guess I could go to this from the options 3 port yellow plug on the firewall) and then a 12V only when the radio is on... not sure where that would be...so thinking the in series won't cut it...

Any help from someone who's done it appreciated...

rvrtrash

Many modern radios/stereos/head units have wires for the antenna power. Since the OEM unit doesn't, you can run a 12V power from either a switched or non-switched power source (like the 3 port plug), through a momentary contact, double pole switch, to the antenna. One side will be power up and the other side will be power down (probably). You can hide the switch in the console ash tray if you don't smoke, or somewhere under the dash where it won't be readily visible.

Steve

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

OK, on the bench I confirmed it needs one 12v "on" all the time (so the options port shuld be the go for that wire) the other moves the antenna up when the radio is on (12v on/off w/radio to that lead).

I really don't want a added separate switch, and am thinking if I splice into the plug and split it off the blue/red this may work... as that turns the light on with the radio switch.

Don't want to fry a working 68 AM, so as above if any spark-aware types know the right thing to do assistance is appreciated...