• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Bear Mountain, NY Wednesday Cruise...

BroadwayBlue

I finally made it to the Bear Mountain Cruise held at Bear Mountain State Park in Harriman, NY.
This cruise is HUGE. It's a weekly cruise and gets hundreds of cars and motorcycles show up on a regular basis. There had to a few hundred cars tonight. Weather was great and turn out was unbelievable! I'm glad I finally had a chance to head over.

The cruise is an event, bounce houses for the kids, a number of vendors and the Army was recruiting and brought a rock wall for climbing and an Orange County Chopper.

I got a spot next to the road in and out so got to see a parade of cars coming by. I don't think the pictures I took tonight was a true representation of what was there but you get the idea.

Here is the online album http://broadwayblue.photosite.com/08-09-2006BearMountain/

Attached are few pics of the show field and more shirt shots for Tim :cool:
Looks like I have a new car cleaner helper

Attachments

• Copy of DSC08504.JPG
    Copy of DSC08504.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 20
  • Copy of DSC08505.JPG
    Copy of DSC08505.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Copy of DSC08506.JPG
    Copy of DSC08506.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Copy of DSC08509.JPG
    Copy of DSC08509.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Copy of DSC08462.JPG
    Copy of DSC08462.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Copy of DSC08460.JPG
    Copy of DSC08460.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 21

Diesel Donna

Whoa Rich! That's a huge car show!

(Gosh darn those kids are so cute!)

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

Diesel Donna said:
Whoa Rich! That's a huge car show!

(Gosh darn those kids are so cute!)

Isn't that unbelievable Donna? And it's just a cruise not even a show! It's a weekly event.
They have a full setup with burgers, dogs, fries, soda, beer, italian ices, etc ... It's an event ... and they draw crowds like that weekly.

The club never charged anything to get in and then the state started charging $2 per car both show and spectator. With the motorcyles that were there tonight in addition to all the cars and spectators the state pulled in a few thousand dollars easily!

Thanks for the kids comment ... the older one is one of my nephews the other is my daughter Gianna (but you knew that already).

Diesel Donna

I guess the turnout is so good because you have a limited season to be able to strut your stuff. Whereas we can do it almost year 'round.

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

Diesel Donna said:
I guess the turnout is so good because you have a limited season to be able to strut your stuff. Whereas we can do it almost year 'round.

I don't know. The turnout they get is phenomenal. Other cruises or even shows don't come close to this turnout. There are cruises (multiple) every night of the week by me all within an hour drive. This one is very different and runs from early May to late September. Almost 6 months of Wednesdays.

Other cruises get 30-50 maybe on average. This one is getting 10 times that and pulling cars from NY, NJ, PA and CT.

Maybe out West you get this kind of turnout a lot but I was talking to one of my neighbors Dad's at the cruise tonight who has a 64 1/2 Mustang and he thinks it is close to being the largest weekly cruise on the East Coast. I think he might be right.

I never heard of a 56 Mercury Montclair before and there 2, possibly 3 in excellent restored condition.

It was funny pulling in, people were sitting along the road coming in like it was a parade just watching the cars coming in and out. Saved them from walking I suppose

4 years ago in a newspaper article they said they get cars from 5 surrounding counties and 4 states. The number that surprised me is even back then they were getting 100 NEW cars every week so it's not the same cars each week.

I know I'm rambling but I'm truly floored by this cruise everytime I go. I hadn't been there in a few years. Two years ago I ended up turning around 2 different nights and going home due to the traffic jam trying to get in being so bad.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

Oh shoot I almost forgot!!

The CS was getting a lot of looks. A number of people had never seen one in person. And others remembered the car from other cruises and events. They were asking, weren't you at the "so and so" show? When we replied yes they said I figured, you don't see many of those out east.

I overheard people on their cell phone saying "We're standing by the California Special". They were using my car as a landmark in that sea of cars. I thought that was pretty wild.

Also had a photographer with a Press Pass asking a lot of questions about the car and checking it out. Then ended up walking away.

Diesel Donna

Wow! That's pretty neat Rich. Watch the newspaper, they may give you a mention. I get it fairly often in procar newsletters and the local paper ( for my ambulance).
Makes ya feel so good when people really single out your car huh!

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

Definitely cool! That's great you get some mention in the local press.

Here is a site of a vendor that was at the show. If you take out the first few pages of the SUV and Vette he has 300 pictures of cars and that wasn't all of them.
These pictures give you a better idea of the cars that were there.

http://www.turnersportsphotos.com/mp_includes/index.asp

Look at the 8/9/2006 link for tonight's cruise.

They gave me a flyer with my picture number written on it but I don't see the pic of my car :undecided ... guess I'll have to go back again LOL!
You can buy things with the picture of your car like mugs, puzzles, posters, etc ...

Diesel Donna

Very very cool! I was surprised to see my amb. on a flyer for a local cruise night. And then they put it on their website too! THEN I was watching the local cable channel and there's my car again!! Cool beans!

Great site Rich.

Mustanglvr

What a great get-together! I can`t believe they do that every week! Looks like alot of fun!

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

Mine was the only CS there that night.
There is someone that has one not far from me that has gone there before.
The owner posted a few times on this site, he actually looking for a fellow CS owner that lived nearby. It seemed my car was the one he had heard about. I tried to contact him but never heard back from him.

I found out they had over 700 cars last night and too many bikes to list.