• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Big Trouble!...

di81977

Good luck Tim! If you hair is not grey now, it soon will be (in my case, it just fell out).

Great to see our kids into these cars! My 16 year old tore down my 302 when I replaced it with the current engine and cleaned it all up.

Our local speedway does a high school drag day on Memorial and Labor day. He, and two friends are expecting me to take them on Monday with my HCS. We will see...

david

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

Good luck Tim! If you hair is not grey now, it soon will be (in my case, it just fell out).

Great to see our kids into these cars! My 16 year old tore down my 302 when I replaced it with the current engine and cleaned it all up.

Our local speedway does a high school drag day on Memorial and Labor day. He, and two friends are expecting me to take them on Monday with my HCS. We will see...

david

David, I hope you do go on Monday. Please let us know how it goes if so :)

TJ is pushing to have his road ready by next Saturday to enter into the "project" catagory of a local car show. I'm not too sure w/ work constraints etc.. but will be happy if it's right the first time.

As far as drag racing goes - we're hoping to give Renee "Ponygal' one hell of a run with our de-gummed and re-gasketed two-barrel!! See, she was pretty cocky after that trip down the taxiway at the Auburn airport...

Thanks David and good luck to you. You have a magnificent HCS!

P.S. Yes, my hair has been getting grey AND falling out ;-)

PonyGal

As far as drag racing goes - we're hoping to give Renee "Ponygal' one hell of a run with our de-gummed and re-gasketed two-barrel!! See, she was pretty cocky after that trip down the taxiway at the Auburn airport...

P.S. Yes, my hair has been getting grey AND falling out ;-)

Hey!!! Who are you calling "cocky" mister! At least you admit that I took you off the line. That was about the best I could do against your 302.

As soon as you get that car of TJ's road worthy, I'll meet you at the airport any time :) More gray hair???

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

Hey!!! Who are you calling "cocky" mister!

As soon as you get that car of TJ's road worthy, I'll meet you at the airport any time :) More gray hair???

...There you go aGA'ain... ;-)

Okay, we're on. But we'll have to be quiet about it. Some folks around here frown on racing in & out of traffic!

Attachments

• rtj51.jpg
    rtj51.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 35

PonyGal

If that is the sort of "traffic" we need to contend with, I may just concede to you. I don't relish the idea of playing chicken with a P51!! He's a lot bigger than I am :icon_pani

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

...It's not too bad as long as you do a "rolling start" beginning at about 110mph. Most important; if you get ahead of him - try to stay ahead him! There's no clutch fan on his prop, so that would hurt!

And if you run out of runway in the process - keep your foot to the floor and pull back real hard on the wheel!

;-)

Attachments

• fly.jpg
    fly.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 24

PonyGal

Wow! Looks like you've done this before, so I'll just leave that one up to you. As for me, I will stay safely on the ground where there is no chance that my "Baby" will not have the proper landing gear to get back down safely :scared:

Besides, I don't really think it would be any fun seeing a P51 heading towards me in my rear view mirror :icon_pani

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

...Fired her up today and she's running real SWEET! Are there special break-in tips to consider? Right now we have straight SAE 30 which I intend to put only a few hours on before draining and screening. The rebuilt C4 worked good through the gears as well once the torque converter filled up...

rvrtrash

I've always run it at 2,000 rpm for a half hour to break in the cam. I've been reading that you should use a ZDDP additive if you aren't using a roller cam. I haven't done it yet, but will on my next oil change.

Steve