• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Brake light problem still

Maine gt/cs

My brake lights went out on a recent cruise. I have replaced the brake light switch (Tried 2 new ones), head light switch. I have power to the brake light switch. I ran a jumper on the pigtail for the brake switch and still no brake lights. The headlights, parking lights, blinkers all work fine. The drivers side parking lights and blinkers are not as bright as the passenger side but still work fine. I have checked the grounds in the trunk area and all grounds are clean of paint, rust and are tight. Has anyone had this problem. What am I missing and not looking at. Thanks for any replies.

Tim

rvrtrash

I would also check the grounds on the radiator support, just because of the "one side dim" issue, and other than that, you may need a new turn signal switch. The brake lights also go through that.

Steve

OP
OP
Maine gt/cs

Maine gt/cs

I would also check the grounds on the radiator support, just because of the "one side dim" issue, and other than that, you may need a new turn signal switch. The brake lights also go through that.

Steve

I replaced that this winter. But still, that still go bad. Thank you

Tim

66hcs-conv

Do the tail lights work correctly, and the blinkers at the rear work correctly?
If those do, then the grounds are OK.

But if one side is dimmer, I would be tempted to run a separate temporary ground wire from the negative side of the battery back to the grounds for the rear lights. Or maybe even ground the metal cases of the lights.

And there is no corrosion in the light sockets, either the ground side or the contact points?

Hope this helps. Dave

OP
OP
Maine gt/cs

Maine gt/cs

Do the tail lights work correctly, and the blinkers at the rear work correctly?
If those do, then the grounds are OK.

But if one side is dimmer, I would be tempted to run a separate temporary ground wire from the negative side of the battery back to the grounds for the rear lights. Or maybe even ground the metal cases of the lights.

And there is no corrosion in the light sockets, either the ground side or the contact points?

Hope this helps. Dave

Tail lights. Parking lights, blinkers all work fine.Just no brake lights. Cleaned all the sockets and bulbs for dirt and corrosion. Going to look at the turn signal switch. Going to try your idea for the temporary ground. Thank you for your reply.

Tim

68CaliSp

Have you checked the pig tail connecter in the trunk? I've had corrosion / bad connections there that caused a voltage drop to the tail lights.

CougarCJ

I would check the power out of the brake light switch. There are different switches for disc and drum.

franklinair

Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings: T/S Switch. Get the good one from Scott @ West Coast Classic Cougar. (P/N 41735, $100+/-)

Neil

OP
OP
Maine gt/cs

Maine gt/cs

Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings: T/S Switch. Get the good one from Scott @ West Coast Classic Cougar. (P/N 41735, $100+/-)

Neil

I have power to the brake light switch which is for power brakes, power coming out of the brake light switch, unplugged the pig tail in the trunk and have power coming back for the blinkers and parking lights, but nothing to the brake light side. Going to take Neil's advice and order a new T/S switch from Scott. Thank you to all that gave me advice. A great community to belong to.

Tim

robert campbell

the new LED lights draw far less power and increase the life of you T/S. I replaced my T/S in 1989 and then again in around 2005. The cheap repops do not last as long and get the one from Scott!. I would upgrade to the LED's at the same time. I did.

Rob