• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Car is almost done

P

PNewitt

A bit of belt-trivia.

Only Mustangs (and all Fords) built after Jan 1 had to have shoulder harnesses. It was Federal law. To pay for the shoulder harnesses, Ford deleted the louvered hood as a standard item for '68 (except, of course for the GT/CS).

I once rode in a friend's '66 Fastback, done up like a Shelby "R" model, and it had five-point belts--and a full roll cage. We "flew" across San Diego on Highway 8 in third gear at about 80-90 mph (here and there). He had dual quads on a modified 302 with a racing cam, and 4.11's. Pretty cool--and I felt very safe.

ALL OF YOU should check your original belts, to see if they are old and rotten. Old belts can break at the prime moment! Snake Oil Products makes repro belts. Check it out. Also check all of your bolts, and anchors for rust, etc., from the underside.

Good for all of you for wearing your belts! I remember as a Kid, we had a new '62 Falcon wagon that we took camping at Lake Tahoe. We got seat belts (and backup lights and a roof rack) all as options. The belts looped through this huge silver buckle, and then you sinched it down. Those Falcon seats also had those dang plastic seat covers with the little bubbles in them, that left goofy marks on the back of your legs when you wore shorts!

Paul N.

P

PNewitt

Donna,

Can you confirm this? That ALL 1968 Mustang GT/CS Pedal Cars had to have seat belts?

Just wondering,

Paul N.

Diesel Donna

PNewitt said:
Donna,

Can you confirm this? That ALL 1968 Mustang GT/CS Pedal Cars had to have seat belts?

Just wondering,

Paul N.

I cannot confirm. Mine is a 64. :tongue:

P

PNewitt

Well, well,well.....it looks like I'll have to drop you now from the
"1968 GT/CS Pedal Car Registry".

Looks like "someone's" made a clone.

Shame, shame....

Paul "gotcha" Newitt :p

Diesel Donna

Nooooooooo!! This was the prototype pedal car!!!

Very very rare indeed...regular production started in 68 1/2.

~~~~Diesel "gotcha back" Donna :grin:

OP
OP
L

luisa2552

I'm just back from a long weekend and of course had to check on my car. It's done, except an area that needs to be touched up. Maybe I'm being too picky. It looks like someome brushed up too close when the paint was wet. The belts haven't arrived yet and I really want them in so the kids can ride. Part of me just wants to pick it up for the weekend then take it back. The other part of me says to just leave it until it's done right. I think I will take it out even for a day and get some pictures!!!

68MustangHCS

I've worn seat belts since 1981, when I had had a head on collision with my 1965 "Export Model" Convertable Mustang. I was 20 heading home from work, a guy turned in front of me while driving through an intersection doing about 45 mph, I hit him head on, and about ate the steering wheel and my legs ended up straddling the shifter (it hurt real bad too). That was the last time I drove without a seatbelt. It took me about a year to get a new front end on my mustang and a paint job. The guy who turned in front of me was driving a 1973 Grand Prix, it was a hit and run. This big car put my car out of action, basically pushing my front left fender and hood up to my windshield. A witness got the plate of the driver and police tracked him down and arrested him for driving without a license and insurance. Needless to say It cost me about 2K in damages out of my pocket. The guy was a deadbeat, and never paid for the damgages. I used my enlistment bonus in the Marine Corps to pay for my repairs.

OP
OP
L

luisa2552

Another delay! This time it's me. I have just dragged myself out of my sick bed for the first time (of course I have to check this site). We're going to try and get it tomorrow if the weather holds. Rain is coming and I won't drive it in the rain!