• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Carbuerator

Sarge

All,

My carbuerator has "given up the ghost", and it is time to replace it. I am looking for suggestions as to what to replace it with. My engine is a 302 4v, with no modifications that I am aware of, and currently has a "Carter Carb" on it. I have another carb (used, in a box) which I "think" came with the car (an "Autolite"). ???

Car has an automatic transmission (C4 with 3.00 ratio), and I would like to "build up" the engine some, but not radically. Would like to pump it up to the 270 to 290 HP range eventually, while keeping the stock tranny. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Robert

68sunlitgold

Robert,
The Autolite 4300 should be the correct carb for your 302, but for more horses you could go with the Holley 4150C, which I think was on the 390's (not completely sure). Also changing your cam will give you more HP and no one will every know. I am sure there are many more "hidden" ways to increase the HP that others here, that know more than I, can help you.
Doug

Duran

68Sunlitgold is correct, a cam is the fastest way to add HP to the car. I do not know what you are willing to invest but there are several ways to add ponies to the car.

Porting your heads will give you the biggest bang after the cam and carb.

Look into an upgraded ignition system, there are several systems on the market with MSD being one of the most common.

Under-Drive pullies are usually good for 10 to 20 at the wheels if you have done all of the rest.

Just my thoughts.

Duran

One thing that we both forgot, exchaust! It really does not matter what you do to make the car fast if you can not get the air out of the motor you have wasted your time.