• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Codes..??

Mosesatm

Casey, why the 289 instead of the 302?

Aren't you an original owner? Did you order your car or but it off the lot?

Mosesatm

[quote author=AppyBaby link=board=1;threadid=2309;start=15#msg16043 date=1130532101]
Check for answers..let me know if you would like to know anything else...

[quote author=case12 link=board=1;threadid=2309;start=15#msg16042 date=1130529005]
The questions are simple:

1. What color does he want - if blue: light, med or dark
Would prefer midnight blue/Opal finish with white interior but willing to look at others.If he/we find a fixer upper can paint what color we want.This is his specialty..painting/finishing.

2. What engine does he want - 6 cyl, 289, 390
302 boss 6/8cyl which ever it is.

3. What color interior does he want - this is limited to the outside color he chooses
white interior but will look at others.

4. What shape does he want the car to be in - factory new, perfect, good, fair, or poor - this sets the $ and how much time he wants to spend with it.
Like either good shape/drivable or poor to fix up the way he/we want.

5. What options does he want - air, power steering, power brakes are the most popular
power steering,power brakes,air,standard tranny,convertable soft top

6. How much does he want to pay
willing to pay what the car(s) is worth.

7. Where is he willing to ship the car from
Would like the car in Canada but willing to ship from the States.Prefer northern-western states but will look at others.

All that said, they dont make them anymore, so the market is limited to what was made 40 years ago, so there will then be trade-offs of the things listed above as to which are the most important. For me the priority order was: perfect shape, 289 or 390 engine, price and color.

Hope this helps. Casey
[/quote]
[/quote]

Appy, we tend to talk in our own language on this board and forget that not everyone is familiar with our cars and our terminology. That said, I think we've let you down and need to clarify a few things regarding California Specials.

GT/CSs (California Specials) are coupes only. No fastbacks or convertibles.

There is also no Boss version, in fact there is no true high performance version excpept the 428 Cobra Jet (R-code) and one of those will cost a small fortune, if you can ever find one.
The only affordable performance versions would be the 302 V8 (J-code) and the 390 V8 (S-code).
There was one 6 cylinder engine available but they are also fairly rare.

Dark blue (Presidential blue) is an extremely rare color as is a white (parchment) interior. The next darkest blue is Acapulco Blue. It is a very nice looking blue and is fairly common so it shouldn't be too difficult to find one that color.

You might want to look in the gallery on this site to see examples of different colors.

As far as value goes; in the past month a real nice red car with white stripes just sold for $24,000 and a nice yellow car with black stripes sold for around $13,000 so the value depends on a lot of things but color and options play a big factor.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
A

AppyBaby

Thanks..that helps alot.Guess when he comes home next time i'll have to show him this site/board and he will have to see what he likes.Then post what he is looking for.Will ruin the anniversary surprise but at least he will get the car he wants that way..damn :(

case12

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=2309;start=15#msg16044 date=1130532245]
Casey, why the 289 instead of the 302?

Aren't you an original owner? Did you order your car or but it off the lot?
[/quote]

I am not original owner...I bought my CS last year out of pasadena, CA where it spent its entire life. Casey

CJ

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=2309;start=15#msg16051 date=1130538222]
Do we have any original owners on this site?
[/quote]

I am an original owner. What can I help you with?

Claude

Mustanglvr

[quote author=AppyBaby link=board=1;threadid=2309;start=15#msg16047 date=1130533897]
Thanks..that helps alot.Guess when he comes home next time i'll have to show him this site/board and he will have to see what he likes.Then post what he is looking for.Will ruin the anniversary surprise but at least he will get the car he wants that way..damn :(
[/quote]

Appybaby, does your husband have any pictures or models of Mustangs in the house or his office anywhere? I`d make a safe bet that if he does, that those would be the kind that he wants. :)Rhonda

OP
OP
A

AppyBaby

No he doesnt have any pictures.Everything went in our house fire a few years ago..

[quote author=Mustanglvr link=board=1;threadid=2309;start=15#msg16054 date=1130541443]
[quote author=AppyBaby link=board=1;threadid=2309;start=15#msg16047 date=1130533897]
[/quote]

Appybaby, does your husband have any pictures or models of Mustangs in the house or his office anywhere? I`d make a safe bet that if he does, that those would be the kind that he wants. :)Rhonda
[/quote]

Mosesatm

[quote author=Claude link=board=1;threadid=2309;start=15#msg16053 date=1130540722]
[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=2309;start=15#msg16051 date=1130538222]
Do we have any original owners on this site?
[/quote]

I am an original owner. What can I help you with?

Claude
[/quote]

More curiosity than anything else. I think it's incredible that you kept the car for so long. You're in an elite group.

Jon and Paul do we know how many original owners we have? Paul, what do you think about a special category for original owners in the registry?

Mustanglvr

Oh gee, sorry to hear that. That does`nt make things any easier. My house burned down too in 1996. We lost everything. They say I have post traumatic stress syndrome from it.

Maybe you could ask your husband to write out a wish list. Tell him "the skies the limit" or whatever you want. Then you can list off what he wants to us and we can help you find something.

Mosesatm

[quote author=Mustanglvr link=board=1;threadid=2309;start=15#msg16054 date=1130541443]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Now that's clever. Looks like we need to add Rhonda to the the Casey and Doug genius list!

Guys, remember my post a while back about the female conspiracy. There is more evidence. Look at how they study us, trying to figure us out, trying to find a weakness. They say it's because they want to do something nice for us......but we know better. Yes, we know better....they're up to something....we don't know exactly what but they're up to something. Hmmmm.

Uh oh......OUCH! Ladies, please just ignore all that. Thank you.

Mustanglvr

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=2309;start=30#msg16059 date=1130547715]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Now that's clever. Looks like we need to add Rhonda to the the Casey and Doug genius list!

Guys, remember my post a while back about the female conspiracy. There is more evidence. Look at how they study us, trying to figure us out, trying to find a weakness. They say it's because they want to do something nice for us......but we know better. Yes, we know better....they're up to something....we don't know exactly what but they're up to something. Hmmmm.

Uh oh......OUCH! Ladies, please just ignore all that. Thank you.
[/quote]

Hey, somebody has to do it. ;D

68gt390

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=2309;start=15#msg16046 date=1130533148]
There is also no Boss version, in fact there is no true high performance version excpept the 428 Cobra Jet (R-code) and one of those will cost a small fortune, if you can ever find one.
The only affordable performance versions would be the 302 V8 (J-code) and the 390 V8 (S-code).
There was one 6 cylinder engine available but they are also fairly rare.
[/quote]

Hey Arlie;
What's the deal, no true High Performance version except the 428 CJ. If the 390 "S" code is not a High Performance version than what is it? When you stop to think about it even the "J" code with 4V is a high performance package just a little less horse power. If I'm not mistaken in 68 Ford offered 3 high performance packages for the GT/CS - 302 "J" code 4V, 390 "S" code 4V and the 428 CJ.

Don

Mosesatm

Since the poster mentioned a Boss and a 429 I tried to respond in the same vein, so what I meant by a true high performance option would be a Boss 429, Boss 302, Tunnel port 302, 289 HiPo (sort of), 427 SOHC, 428SCJ. Motors that were tweaked to their limits to generate raw power. The 390 S-code is a fine motor and it puts down some serious power but it is not what I would consider a "high performance" option like the above powerplants.

OP
OP
A

AppyBaby

I just might have to do that next time he is home..might just work too..hhmm.. 8)

[quote author=Mustanglvr link=board=1;threadid=2309;start=30#msg16058 date=1130547373]
Oh gee, sorry to hear that. That does`nt make things any easier. My house burned down too in 1996. We lost everything. They say I have post traumatic stress syndrome from it.

Maybe you could ask your husband to write out a wish list. Tell him "the skies the limit" or whatever you want. Then you can list off what he wants to us and we can help you find something.
[/quote]

P

PNewitt

This warrants a different thread, but the FE motors are known for their TORQUE, because of the way they are designed. That is why you'd see a lot of 390, 410 and 428 motors in boats.

Back in '68, the 390 was considered falling short against the new Chevelle. However--you can do a lot to bring a 390 to life. If you've ever driven a Mustang with a 390, you'd know right away that you can get into "scary fast" real quick!

We'll get into this later--thanks, Don!

Paul N.