• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Concours Restoration Books/Marks

Just a quick thing to point out.

When referring to the "Mustang Assembly Manuals", bear in mind that the factory didn't always follow things to the letter. Just because Dearborn said to "do it like this", doesn't mean San Jose did it exactly like that. Production changes constantly happened.

We have many examples of this-- if they ran out of Mustang antennes, they grabbed some from a Ranchero to keep the line going. Absolutely no one there was worried about "Concours" 20-35 years in the future!

"IF" your car has a factory anomaly that you can document and/or prove, then I suggest you retaining that "mistake" (wrongly installed Lucas fog lights excepted). This was a production car, and not a hand-built Rolls Royce.

What we need to be careful about here is to follow some possible false restorations, to suit some club rules, or Ford diagrams. Even the drawings I have in my 1996 Registry show what engineering specified--and what the factory did with those specs--right or wrong.

My only point is to be more of a detective while restoring your GT/CS, and not completely depend on what you read (including my books). It's a collaborative effort, and you have to weigh all the evidence, techniques, research and history of the car.

But most important--don't ever forget to have fun and enjoyment while doing all of this! It's well worth all the effort!

Paul.

Russ

Paul,
I agree with you that you need to find every bit of information you can to "correctly" restore your GT/CS. The more research and documentation you can find the better. The assembly manuals are but one source of information.

I also agree that one has to determine what the car will be used for when the restoration is completed. I'm somewhat of a "nut" on originality, and I like my Mustangs to be the way they left the factory. Others like to lightly modify their cars, while others go for full blown resto-mods. That variety is what makes this hobby great!

Keep up the good work.

Russ