• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Console Shifter Issue Part 3

AJG

Now I have rendered my car undriveable until I get this console back in correctly. I took some some of the underside of the plate, is there anything missing that is needed? I put the piece in and moved it as far forward so the slide does not show in Park. The screw holes did not line up and it seemed tilted a bit to the passenger side. Does anything need to line up with metal openings around the shifter in the picture below?

Attachments

• mustang.jpg
    mustang.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2419.jpg
    IMG_2419.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2420.jpg
    IMG_2420.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 44

Ruppstang

Two things I see first it appears to be a reproduction shifter? It is possible that the alignment tabs are not positioned correctly on it. Second the plastic pins on your shift plate appear to be broken. For every thing to work and be positioned correctly the pins need to engage the shifter tabs.
Marty

franklinair

That piece looks trashed. PM me your address, and I'll send you a good used one.

Neil

CougarCJ

Neil is correct, you are missing one the of the pins from the bottom. There are two pins on the bottom of the shifter bezel, those two pins fit into the two holes on the metal shifter bucket (picture on left).

Last edited:

franklinair

Shift plate heading your way tomorrow, UPS.
I cleaned it and filled in the white letters/numbers. But don't have the silver metal plate. Better order one unless you can remove yours safely.
Send me your old one- I'll see if I can resurrect it for my spare stash.

Neil