• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Correct torque sequence for 289 cyl head?

gtcs1

One of those things that get you when you aren't prepared- what is the correct torque sequence for the 289 cyl head?

Hi,

Torque sequence I have in Tom Monroe Book (How-To rebuild Small block Ford Engine) is same as quoted in the sketch shown in this thread; http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/all-ford-techboard/474063-how-install-heads.html (see sketch noted "Torque sequence is as follows":
9-5-1-3-7-10-6-2-4-8) Torquing is done in 3 stages or steps using the same sequence; step 1 @ 50, step 2 @ 60 and 3rd and final step torque being 65-72 ft lbs

Hopes that answer your need.

gtcs1

Last edited:
OP
OP
aemoo28

aemoo28

So glad you asked. I'm in STALL mode right now. Plan is to put it all back on and hope for the best for the short block. Machinist who did the cyl heads gave a thumbs up.

No money right now. Spent too much already, although I didn't mind at first. Still angry that this car was misrepresented. Tally is up to $22K on this car.

I need words of encouragement right now. Broke... losing interest and losing hope that she'll be running any time soon. Didn't expect to have to put a new engine in this car... paid waaaaaaaay too much money for this car.

Midnight Special

So glad you asked. I'm in STALL mode right now. Plan is to put it all back on and hope for the best for the short block. Machinist who did the cyl heads gave a thumbs up.

No money right now. Spent too much already, although I didn't mind at first. Still angry that this car was misrepresented. Tally is up to $22K on this car.

I need words of encouragement right now. Broke... losing interest and losing hope that she'll be running any time soon. Didn't expect to have to put a new engine in this car... paid waaaaaaaay too much money for this car.

...I'm with you :) I'm doing the same thing on a larger scale... Think of it as a "quality of life" thing Amy. Right now you can just as easily put money in a bank that will fail, invest in a stock or 401K that crashes or buy a house that $inks in value... OR you can invest in your dream of owning and getting max pleasure out of "black magic" long before your retirement (which ultimately is horizontal in a box). You have the income and security in your profession, no? If so - live as much for today, cuz no one knows what the future holds... I bought an S-code for $41K. after 500 miles or so, cylinders #3 and #8 quit producing power. The story of dis-assembly, diagnosis and private consultation w/ members here is too long to go over, but the engine is at an excellent shop getting completely rebuilt and will be better than ever! First glance from the builder indicates too big of valve springs that may have ruined the cam... At any rate - big $$, but with sights set on how much I will love driving her, I allow NO time spent on regrets. I adopted this "child", so it's up to me to see her thru! She'll return the favor in good time :) YOU TOO!!!
Adopt good faith and aim high!!!....'Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

somethingspecial

Amy, words of encouragement! Many people on this site have paid far more than you for less. You own the car, no one can take it away, and you can do with it as you please. Some purchased their cars to drive right away, and others have been working on theirs for years, wondering the same thing you are, Will I EVER FINISH? The answer is yes!!!!!! Don't rush anything and be unhappy all over again. Do it right the first time. You may have been disapointed at first, but when it is done right, you will drive it with more pride than you can ever imagine. Take your time, fix the little stuff while you wait for the larger items, most don't cost anything or very little and are easy fixes. When the big stuff arrives, like the engine, concentrate on that. Before you know it, you will say "Hey, I think I'm done. How did that happen". Don't lose hope and your will have a beautiful car when it is done, just what you hoped for in the begining, only better because it is yours and YOU did it.
Hope this helps. Mike

franklinair

Amy, darlin;
Trials & tribulation - that's the price we pay up front. (Not to mention the $$$) When this beauty is done, and you're driving it, the pleasure will be tenfold the agonizing that you're going through now. Hang in there, kiddo. You're going to be AMAZED at how good it will feel. You're going to bring this patient out of ICU and give it new life!!

Neil (Dr. Feelgood) Hoppe

Midnight Special

P.S. Look at the bright side - it can get even worse Amy! You could become tempted as I was with even more improvements while the car was apart. Lookie what this guy had in his shop to sell! Stay away from guys like Rob if you want to save $$ ;-))) ...Talk about "encouragement"!

Attachments

• IM002326.jpg
    IM002326.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 24
  • IM002327.jpg
    IM002327.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IM002330.jpg
    IM002330.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 17

robert campbell

Amy,
I have dumped about $10k in mine in the last 6 months. AOD, 9 inch trac lock, and now, a blower and all the stuff around it. And that is doing all my own work! And I love to spend other people’s money!!! Tim is killing himself right now!!

I never doubted your short block until you said it would not turn. Apparently you are able to roll it. I bet the new heads will get it back moving forward. The motor was more than likely “alright” from the beginning, but the misfortune of overheating on the way up blew the head gaskets.

Hang in there! Put this motor back together and use the same intake and exhaust parts. Don’t hammer it and I bet it will give you five or more years of faithful service until the economy and yourself get back on your feet.

Think of the horror stories of people buying a clone and not an original. Or poor Joe and the misfortune of a stuck throttle. It all seems daunting right now, but soon you will be happily driving.

And please take this the right way. You are one gutsy young lady to take all of this on!!!

Rob

OP
OP
aemoo28

aemoo28

Thank you, my dear friends, for giving me these kind powerful bits of power. Knowing that so many people have traveled this road gives me the encouragment that I need to press on.

PMN, this troll lives 2 miles away from me. I will steer clear of the Fremont Bridge Troll that grabs cars off the street & eats them.

rvrtrash

Amy, it's tough to get motivated right now when the weather isn't cooperating, but once you get everything back together and are cruising on a warm summer day, things will feel better. You just need to hang in there.

Steve