• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Couldn't believe my eyes!!!

PonyGal

Went to a couple of local car shows this weekend. I did take the "Ladies Choice" award on Saturday night, and saw this at the one I went to on Sunday....

What the heck is it??? It was listed as a 1965 Coupe, but it was trying to be ????????????? I tried a few times t see who owned it, but even though I went over there 4-5 times, I never saw anyone near that car.

Attachments

• 106.jpg
    106.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 107.jpg
    107.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 107
  • 115.jpg
    115.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 113
  • 116.jpg
    116.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 121
  • 117.jpg
    117.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 125
OP
OP
PonyGal

PonyGal

A few more pics from this weekend...

Oh, that one Cobra posted that it was "Not a kit car". It was an original with a new motor and transmission...

Attachments

• 122.jpg
    122.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 121.jpg
    121.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 118.jpg
    118.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 113.jpg
    113.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 48

Midnight Special

Nice photos Renee. I'm disappointed we didn't get to the Loomis show, but we've been four solid days prepping TJ's car for paint...

What the H E L L is up with that '65?
Wouldn't it be funny if he hooked up with that "fake Marti" guy you spoke of on the other thread
;-)

Scott

Imitation is the greatest flattery...

But it is better than an 'almost replica' that looks wrong but is close - even a yaris owner could tell this car wasn't serious when they saw the front.

OP
OP
PonyGal

PonyGal

Nice photos Renee. I'm disappointed we didn't get to the Loomis show, but we've been four solid days prepping TJ's car for paint...

So Tim, how is TJ's car coming along? Did you guys get it painted this weekend? Maybe next month you and TJ can make the Loomis show. It will be the last one of the season.

I agree...imitation is the greatest flattery, but I am not so sure that that car flattered anything (?). Oh well, to each his own...

Midnight Special

So Tim, how is TJ's car coming along? Did you guys get it painted this weekend?

Yes Renee, and we're very proud of him!
His desire, reading & research, personal investment and being a pain at the local paint store won the heart of an expert painter who wrote it all out for him, then spent today coaching TJ on painting it himself.

Inspired by the 2010 Shelby, TJ chose Grabber Blue (base / clear) with satin argent hood stripes and tail light panel to be added later. Along with my help with door ding repair and some sanding, he pretty much did it all and we both learned immensely. ...Father & son bond(o)ing so to speak...
He also found a set of Magnum 500 rims at $20 each he added a few weeks ago.

We tried to get it all back together tonight for his first senior day of high school tomorrow, but ran out of time. He'll take the (yard goat) '66 instead...

His total investment was around $800.00 and we can't thank you enough Renee for the use of your compressor which worked excellent!!

Great experience for both of us! ;-)

Attachments

• IM002786.JPG
    IM002786.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 67
  • IM002780.JPG
    IM002780.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IM002778.JPG
    IM002778.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IM002766.JPG
    IM002766.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 65
  • IM002774.JPG
    IM002774.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IM002768.JPG
    IM002768.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IM002648.JPG
    IM002648.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 63

hookedtrout

Awesome job guys, tell TJ that is amazing. I worked in a body and paint shop for several years in my younger days and I got all the grunt work so I know just how much time has to be spent to get all the little details just right during prep work. Looks great so far.

Powell

Wow, TJ. What an awesome job. We are all really proud of what you accomplished. You'll have the girls flocking around you and your beautiful car. Hope you have a great senior year. Ever thought about a trip up Beaverton way? We had such a great time when we were down there last year! We wish you the best of luck and lots of fun.
Karen and Ralph Powell

Midnight Special

...Thank you Karen, Ralph, Cory & Neil, TJ was extremely warmed by your comments, but we didn't mean to hijack Renee's thread. I just get carried away w/ exuberance as usual :)

Renee - Congratulations on your latest award and all the joy you continue to give and get with that magnificent car! You epitomize a "California Special Way of Life" like few I've known! Keep up the great work and proud tradition :)

Last edited:

Ruppstang

Congrats Renee!
Tim tell TJ that I am impressed first that he decided to take a risk and try something he had never done before. Second that he did his home work and was rewarded with a great looking paint job. Expearences like this one will no doubt make him a sucess in his life! Marty

Midnight Special

Congrats Renee!
Tim tell TJ that I am impressed first that he decided to take a risk and try something he had never done before. Second that he did his home work and was rewarded with a great looking paint job. Expearences like this one will no doubt make him a sucess in his life! Marty

Thanks Marty! You just told him :)
He's out driving it now after installing GT fog lamps and other goodies purchased from "Clubpro" and R&R Classics!

rvrtrash

Very nice TJ. Wish I could've been there to pitch in and help but it looks like you did a fine job.

Steve

OP
OP
PonyGal

PonyGal

Looks great TJ!! I can't wait to actually see it! I wish I could have been there to help with the prep work.

Midnight Special

Looks great TJ!! I can't wait to actually see it! I wish I could have been there to help with the prep work.

...Renee, the "post" work was interesting as well. Tim (from the paint store) returned the next day to give TJ excellent pointers on wet sanding, two-step polishing and final touch-up to make it all perfect! How fortunate of him to happen on such a great mentor. Of the three "Tims" involved with this project, two of them really knew their stuff by the end of the week ;-)

Attachments

• IM002791.JPG
    IM002791.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IM002793.JPG
    IM002793.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IM002797.JPG
    IM002797.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IM002798.JPG
    IM002798.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 55

robert campbell

Tim,
HOW COOL is T.J.s car! And an ultra rare shot of him with shoes on!!

That color is so cool!!! With that cam and some dual exhaust he will be the envy of Grass Valley High. Or whatever the name of the school is. The only thing that is hotter than his car will be him! The girls must be swarming!

The 68 "GT fogs" look awesome! And the Magnum 500's.

I am very proud of your son. He feels kinda like the whole GT/CS sites son to me.

Concrats Renee! The 65 was a hodgepodge of stuff, but without the scoop through the hood it was kinda cool.

Rob

OP
OP
PonyGal

PonyGal

Good catch Rob!! I didn't even notice the shot with TJ having shoes on!! I rarely ever see that. I believe that picture was taken last winter. Had to go back and look again just to see for myself.