• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 curious- stock or modified

nates68

Just curious to see how many folks on this site have Stock or Modified GT/CS.

Thoughts on value of modified over stock?

nates68

robert campbell

Back in the day stock seemed to be the best value for your restoration. I DO NOT have cars for resale value and do not care!! But over the years, in the middle value Mustangs such as a GT/CS, HCS, a Mach I, or a GT to me a quality “restomod” brings in the same value. And basic Mustangs, it seems that a quality restomod brings more value.

But, the “sellability” of a restomod is attractive to a smaller audience than a restored stock original.

Please take no offense to my thoughts of a mid-value Mustang. I put Boss 429’s, 302’s, R Codes, and Shelby’s at the top tier in value. Not to mention the Cougar line in the same categories.

My humble thoughts only!! I am all over modifieds that go fast and are tailored to the owners taste.

Rob

CougarCJ

Mine will be slightly off stock, but borrowing from the available Ford parts bin from 1966, 1968, 1969, and 1970. Plus a few hard to spot modern upgrades.

Midnight Special

Since we drive all of mine, I keep them pretty close to stock because of reliability and for keeping repair & maintenance close to "textbook". My "power trips" are determined by mood swings... C-code = shy, conservative. S-code = Spontaneous, Aggressive!!! Then there's the "middle of the road" J-code...

I don't have any real stance on "stock verses modified" because it's a very individual thing. That's what's nice about being on this site as we have the best of both worlds to draw ideas from. One thing is for certain though..., When the day comes that I restore a car to complete stock, you'll likely see it the following day on ebay or craigslist. While I stay largely with Ford options and parameters, Marti says that a few of mine need hubcaps, 2-barrels, smog equipment and colors that I don't care much for ...>

Attachments

• IM001459.JPG
    IM001459.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 28

dalorzo_f

Modifed, it has 14" Magnum 500's and fat 205's to keep the power of that C code on the road... :tongue:

Value of modified vs. original?

IMHO, modifed is worse in the long run. A 6 year old crate engine is just that... original is still FoMoCo... my bet is in the long run as close to original maintains more value for a "used car" in most cases.

Within a very short time of restoration/modification a modified may pull a reasonable return, but neither path for a quality job is a money maker...

Ruppstang

I am a concours judge, what do you think?
I have to admit that GT-CS convertible posted here some time ago has stuck in my mind.

Attachments

• GT-CT convertible.jpg
    GT-CT convertible.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 43
OP
OP
nates68

nates68

I agree with all your answers. Just sometimes at shows people ask why would you "restomod" one of these Rare cars? "Why Not" If you go concours you wont drive it. I think if you go a mild "Restomod" you have the best of both worlds.
But i do enjoy seeing a Concours car.

Nates68

Ruppstang

Nate it is your car make it what you want. I would not make changes that could not be changed back. Save all of the original parts. That way latter you or someone else could restore it back to original. Just my 2 cents Marty

OP
OP
nates68

nates68

Curious-Stock or modified

Nate it is your car make it what you want. I would not make changes that could not be changed back. Save all of the original parts. That way latter you or someone else could restore it back to original. Just my 2 cents Marty

Marty, I agree with you, Thats what i did. Iv made changes over the past
20 yrs. All for the better i think. Nate