• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 don't MESS with Renee!....

PonyGal

I finally got to get behind the wheel of Tim's 390 yesterday. WOOOHOOOO!!!!! That baby has power!! I must admit it spooked me a bit (don't tell Tim that). It was a blast to drive, but I took it easy on Tim since he was sitting in the passenger seat and I didn't want to scare him :wink:

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

...Of course I was in the passenger seat Renee! How else does one keep up with "Fast Lane Foster"?? Remember back in 2005 when I got the black car and you the gold?... We traded cars in Auburn for the drive to Grass Valley so I could photograph it on the highway... I got only one picture that day! - "you" waiting at the stop light to get on - then "get on it", you did!! 'Took me 20 miles and my driveway to catch up to you!

It was only slightly better when you bought the Stevenson GT/CS and we did the same thing... But it took a '69 model with a 428CJ to get only marginal highway pics!

Some people!!!...
;-)

Attachments

• 10990.jpg
    10990.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 0989.jpg
    0989.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 0992.jpg
    0992.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 32

PonyGal

Remember back in 2005 when I got the black car and you the gold?... We traded cars in Auburn for the drive to Grass Valley so I could photograph it on the highway... I got only one picture that day! - "you" waiting at the stop light to get on - then "get on it", you did!! 'Took me 20 miles and my driveway to catch up to you!

Some people!!!...
;-)

I remember that day very well!! Sorry about that, but I REALLY enjoyed driving your black Special that day. Hey, I had no idea how fast I was going since the speedometer wasn't working and there was no traffic. Besides, I wanted to get back to your place quickly because I knew that when we did, we would get to play with all the cars :wink:

Renee' aka "Fast Lane Foster"

Attachments

• leadfoot.gif
    leadfoot.gif
    91.5 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

...Our saga continues with Renee bringing her GT/CS to Grass Valley and the annual Union Hill School car show today with predictable results :) She outclassed a dozen other '65 - '73 Mustangs (including my '69 CJ) in what amounted to "truth in advertising from the Stevensons and her on-going care & maintenance!

Congratulations PonyGal!!

Attachments

• IM001768.jpg
    IM001768.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IM001788.jpg
    IM001788.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 33

somethingspecial

Congratulations Renee

It is nice to see our vision is coming to be. When ever a GT/CS arrives on scene, people shutter and accept the fact they have heavy compitition on the show field. A well deserved win. I recently attended the Marin-Sonoma Concours d'Elegance. Eight beautiful cars in our class. We were the only Mustang, but were out classed by Corvettes, Kaiser Darren, etc. The first place winner was a 1962 Corvette with a 19 year restoration. A well deserved win for those folks. Compared to other Mustangs, I think we have a big advantage on the show field. Again, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mike

obwan93001

Very nice, congrats Renee!

...Our saga continues with Renee bringing her GT/CS to Grass Valley and the annual Union Hill School car show today with predictable results :) She outclassed a dozen other '65 - '73 Mustangs (including my '69 CJ) in what amounted to "truth in advertising from the Stevensons and her on-going care & maintenance!

Congratulations PonyGal!!

WOW, how awesome is that! :icon_ecst Have been slowly catching up on things here, haven't had much time and other things going on, but read this great thread the other day and was some great readin', fo' shizzle! Always dig Rob's comments btw :icon_lol: any votes for CS.com entertainer of the year? LOL

Great to see good things happen to good peeps! Great job on getting the motor installed and great job by Renee and her GT/CS at the show!

Oscar

PonyGal

It was a wonderful day in Grass Valley and I had a great time at the Union Hill car show. Thank you Tim for accompaning me on Saturday :smile: It was a really COLD day, and we even got a bit of snow!! I wish I would have thought to take a picture!!! I was so busy enjoying the snow that I totally forgot to grab my camera!! Is it really the end of May in California???????????

Anyway, I must admit, that I was a bit surprised when I heard my name called at the awards presentation. After all. there were quite a few in my class, and I was competing with Tim's '69 Mach I!! Just goes to show, that my CS is continuing on with the legacy that PFSlim and his son Zach started back in Kansas City!

Attachments

• 100_0714.jpg
    100_0714.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 100_0712.jpg
    100_0712.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 43

PFSlim

Renee

That is OUTSTANDING!!! Way Cool. The car and the trophy look great!! We went to the Liberty, MO car show this weekend. Zach and I talked about where we used to part with the GT/CS. And, as I sit here in my office - from that particular show - I see a very cool first place trophy for the first year - the second year was a frst place plaque and a Best of Show plaque - then the last year we showed there - we won first place in our class.

This weekend, it was all the brand new "Black Pearl" could do to win a 3rd place plaque!!! Oh well - great to remember those times and I am so happy you won at your show.

Clear off a new spot (a big spot) for those future trophies and a huge Congrats from Zach and I!!!!!

From the "Renee Fan Club of Kansas City"

Paul

franklinair

No doubt, that is one OUTSTANDING GT/CS. Even more so when you see the photos of the restoration. When I saw the photos of that project (that hulk on a trailer) I figured "NO Way". But having seen the car up close & personal at Tim's house last year - it is fantastic. And it couldn't be in better hands than Renee's for the ongoing TLC. I'll see you all in SEA in July.

Neil

PonyGal

Paul,

I can just imagine how much you miss those times with the GT/CS. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to carry on the Stevenson tradition. This is the second win for the CS. Last year it got an award at our local Jimboy's car show. There are so many "Pony Cars", entered into shows out here that it is hard to win in that class. Still, I am very proud of my Special and I like showing it for others to look at and enjoy. If she wins every now and then, that's great!!

Neil, I'm with you on that!! I couldn't belive it when I saw the pictures either. I still get people at car shows asking me if those pictures are "just for show". They too can't belive it's the same car!!!

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

Tim,

I would not worry a bunch at this point. I suspect you will drain the 30 weight out after you have seated the rings. If this was my car, I would use that oil for a 200 to 300 miles.

If the slight tappet noise is only during the frist couple minutes and goes away, live with it to the first real oil change a 2,000 miles. If it continues to worsen slightly, then talk to the engine builder about the push rods. As I remember you can get 1/32 and 1/16 inch longer push rods for the non-adjustable FE motors. If you isolate it, you can try the 1/32 longer push rod.

It may be a tappet that is a little grumpy when cold and will soon get better with use. I have used 20/50 Castrol for years. And the Castrol full synthetics. I have went to lighter weight Purple Royal synthetic in both my motors now that I push both very hard. VERY HARD!!

I assume this slight noise is when it is cold?

Rob

Update on the tappet noise Rob;
after about 600 miles, it was still present (tho intermittent). Oil pressure and engine performance was never a problem... I tried 20/50 after 400 miles or so - still noisy, added some Marvel Mystery Oil (to wake up sleepy lifters) - same... I researched some classic T-bird forums and found a lot of discussion about the same issues. I even removed the fuel pump and listened after reading that a worn pump can make the same noise...

I finally changed back to 10/30 Castrol and using cardboard gutters made from valve cover gasket boxes, ran the engine without covers to isolate the noise. The heads were lubing beautifully and everything seemed in order, but several push rods were noticeably loose, though not at all bent.
Per your advice, I went to "auto parts" and found there are indeed 3 sizes of push rods for the 390 (?) I bought the set 1/32 longer than what I had, put them in and now everything is quiet as a mouse! I can still spin them in place after some running, so there appears to be no undue stress with regard to the lifters.

Thanks Rob! We'll see what happens from here :)